DST Females in STEM Scholarship
DonorDefence, Science and Technology of the Department of Defence
Defence Science & Technology (DST) is the Australian government's lead agency responsible for applying science and technology to safeguard Australia and its national interests.
As one of Australia’s largest employers of scientists and engineers, DST delivers expert, impartial advice and innovative solutions for Defence and national security. DST supports every aspect of Australia’s national defence capability. If a soldier eats it, wears it, thinks it, uses it or has to fight against it, there’s every chance that DST has done the research behind it.
The Defence Science Technology Scholarships for Women in Science Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) are part of DSTs strategic plan to increase diversity in the STEM field. DST has a requirement to develop an appropriately skilled STEM workforce and a diverse, high performing talent pipeline is key to that. These scholarships will be awarded to women who not only are studying STEM subjects, but also have an interest in a career in Defence. There will be multiple opportunities to engage with DST scientists and programs throughout the period of the scholarship.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
This scholarship is not yet open for 2021. Please log in to the application portal and register interest in this scholarship to receive an email notification when applications open.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in the 2nd year of the B Science, B Biotechnology, B Biomedical Science, B Computer Science, B Engineering, B Mathematics, B Information Technology, or B Exercise and Sports Science with University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic achievement by having a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or higher in your current program.
- Be female.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian citizen.
- Be willing to obtain and maintain an Australian Government security clearance at the level of Baseline for the duration of their scholarship (this will need to be applied for and in place before 31 August in year of award).
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $10,000 each year, paid as two lump sums of $5,000 after semester one and semester two census dates. The scholarship will be ongoing for up to 4 years, provided all ongoing conditions are met.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. The Selection Committee will take into account prior academic achievement, interest in a career in Defence, community leadership, and involvement with extra-curricular activities.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759