Aspen Foundation Indigenous Health Scholarship
06 March 2019
This scholarship has been established by the Aspen Foundation in 2018 to support Indigenous students in completing a degree in Nursing or Social Work. In addition to financial aid, you will have access to support from the Aspen Foundation.
The Aspen Foundation is committed to supporting the undertaking of life changing healthcare through significantly reducing or eradicating key illnesses and diseases in remote Australian communities and to provide education for the sustainability of improved health practices. The Aspen Foundation aligns its support to initiatives such as scholarships, which will make a practical and immediate difference to the lives of people living in these remote and medically challenged communities.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in 1st or 2nd year of a Bachelor of Nursing or Bachelor of Social Work undergraduate degree at the University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and be recognised as such by your community.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement (max 2 A4 pages) demonstrating/outlining your academic achievements to date, career aspirations in the relevant area of study/research and how this scholarship would assist you.
- A written reference made by an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community member.
- Documents for establishing Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander status with UON. Please see list of accepted documents here: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/establishing-status-docs
The scholarship provides a benefit of $5,000 each year for up to 3 years of study in your program, with a total value of $15,000.
This will be paid to be paid as two lump sums of $2,500 after semester one and semester two census dates in each year.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759