Bungaree Discovery Yapug Scholarship
06 March 2020
DonorDr Sharlene Leroy-Dyer
This scholarship was established and is donated by Dr Sharlene Leroy-Dyer, Former Program Convenor Yapug, as a way of giving back to the community where she worked and studied, by giving an Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander student enrolled in the Yapug program an opportunity to gain a scholarship to alleviate financial hardship. The name of the scholarship reflects both the great man that Bungaree was, but also that Yapug is a journey of discovery.
The Bungaree Discovery scholarship in in honour of Dr Leroy-Dyer's ancestor, Bungaree who was an Aboriginal man of the Garigal clan, Guringai peoples of the Broken Bay area. Bungaree was an explorer, the first Aboriginal person to circumnavigate Australia in the HMS Investigator, from 1802 to 1803 with Matthew Flinders, mapping the Australian coastline.
Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in the Yapug program.
- Be enrolled either full-time or part-time.
- Identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and be recognised as such by your community.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides $4,000, paid in instalments of $2,000 after the semester one and two census dates.
Selection will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Applications will be ranked against the criteria and offers made to the applicants who best meet the eligibility criteria.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759