Lance Coburn Memorial Rugby Union Scholarship
04 March 2018
DonorUniversity of Newcastle Rugby Union Club
This scholarship is being established by the University of Newcastle Rugby Union Club (UONRUC) to honour the memory of Lance Coburn and his contributions to the University as a graduate and in particular his achievements as a member of the UONRUC.
Lance Coburn came to the UON in 1964 and enrolled in a BA of Commerce. He was an outstanding student as his results attest. During his time at the UON he demonstrated outstanding skills as a full back for the University Rugby Union team. As a result he was selected on Representative teams including the Newcastle Rugby Team and NSW Country Rugby Team.
Lance commenced working for BHP in the late 1960's as a commercial trainee and went on to have a career of about 40 years with the company in very senior commercial and general manager areas.
Lance was highly respected for his integrity, concern for others and his leadership.
It is the intention of this scholarship that the successful recipient will be a contributing member and role model to other team members of the Rugby club. They will endeavour to attend all designated training session and fixtures and if unable to train or play due to injury or illness will make contact with the relevant coach prior to training or fixture. The club would ideally like the recipient to undertake the Foundations of Rugby Coaching course and completion of a Refereeing qualification. The successful recipient may be asked to represent the club or University at publicity events.
Applicable to: UON Rugby Union, Callaghan, Commencing, Continuing.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of any program at the University of Newcastle Callaghan Campus, including non-award.
- Be enrolled at Callaghan Campus
- Be enrolled full-time (minimum 30 units).
- Be a member of, and play Rugby Union on a full time basis with, the University of Newcastle Rugby Union Football Club.
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Not have previously completed a degree.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement demonstrating/outlining your academic goals, playing and career aspirations, evidence of excellence in Rugby performance and how this scholarship would assist you. Any documentary evidence supporting this should be included.
- Any documents supporting your claims (such as CV, evidence of achievements, centrelink income statement). A list of required documents for educational disadvantage is available at https://www.newcastle.edu.au/disadvantage-supporting-docs
The scholarship currently provides a benefit of $5,000 to be paid as two lump sum payments of $2,500 following confirmation of eligibility after the relevant Semester Census dates.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759