Friends of the University Lorna George Memorial Scholarship
04 March 2018
DonorFriends of the University
Lorna George was one of the founders of the Friends of the University and a driving force for the Book Fair, a biennial fundraiser that has raised over $1 million since the organisation was formed in 1981. The funds have been spent on a wide range of projects, scholarships and research grants to benefit students and staff and build a stronger bridge between the campus and the community.
Lorna's discipline was in Social Work which she was very passionate about. If is for this reason that the Friends of the University wish to honour her memory by establishing this scholarship in the area of Social Work.
The Friends of the University have a wonderfully long history with the UON and it is through their continued fundraising efforts and their belief in wanting to provide students with opportunities for financial support that the Friends fund a whole suite of scholarship across the various areas of the UON.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in 1st year of the Bachelor of Social Work (Hons) program at the University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time (minimum 30 units).
- Demonstrate academic achievement either by an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent of 75 or higher for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate that you are affected by educational disadvantage, such as carer or sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement (max 2 A4 pages) outlining your experience of educational disadvantage and how this scholarship would assist you and your career aspirations.
- Any documents supporting your claims (such as CV, evidence of achievements, centrelink income statement). A list of required documents for educational disadvantage is available at https://www.newcastle.edu.au/disadvantage-supporting-docs
- TIPS: Limit supporting documents to a few documents which support relevant eligibility criteria only. You may need to combine as one pdf for upload and inlcude your name and student number (if you have one) in the document.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $4,000. This will be paid as $2000 each semester, following the relevant census dates.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Academic merit, namely your Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) or equivalent may be taken into account.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759