Friends of the University Lorna George Memorial Scholarship
28 February 2022
DonorFriends of the University
Lorna George was one of the founders of the Friends of the University and a driving force for the book fair, a biennial fundraiser that has raised over $1 million since the organisation was formed in 1981. The funds have been spent on a wide range of projects, scholarships and research grants to benefit students and staff and build a stronger bridge between the campus and the community.
Lorna's discipline was social work, which she was very passionate about. If is for this reason that the Friends of the University wish to honour her memory by establishing this scholarship in this area of study.
The Friends of the University have a wonderfully long history with the university and it is through their continued fundraising efforts and their belief in wanting to provide students with opportunities for financial support that the Friends fund a whole suite of scholarships across the various areas of UON.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in 1st year of the Bachelor of Social Work (Hons) program at the University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic achievement either by an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent of 75 or higher for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
- Not be the recipient of another University of Newcastle donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application responses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $4,000, paid as $2000 each semester after the census date.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Academic merit, namely your Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) or equivalent may be taken into account.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.