Friends of the University Music Scholarship
06 March 2019
DonorFriends of the University of Newcastle
The Friends of the University were established in 1981 to foster an awareness of the university and its place in the community and to conduct activities including fundraising that promote the interests of the university. Since that time the Friends have raised over $1,000,000 and contributed towards scholarships, art works, music, rare books, infrastructure and more. This scholarship is to help students pursuing musical studies.
Applicable to: Music
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate degree at the University of Newcastle in a music program in the Faculty of Education and Arts.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate impact of educational disadvantage, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Have demonstrated a high standard during performance either at entry audition or at interview for shortlisted applicants.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement (approx 1 A4 page) outlining your academic achievement to date, experience of educational disadvantage, and how this scholarship would assist you and your career aspirations.
- Any documents supporting your claims (such as CV, evidence of achievements, centrelink income statement). A list of required documents for educational disadvantage is available at https://www.newcastle.edu.au/disadvantage-supporting-docs
TIPS: Limit supporting documents to a few documents which support relevant eligibility criteria only. You may need to combine as one pdf for upload and include your name and student number (if you have one) in the document.
The scholarship provides a total benefit of $4,000, paid as $2,000 following the semester one and two census dates.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Academic merit will be taken into consideration.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759