John and Patricia Turner Scholarship
DonorMr John Turner
This scholarship was originally established in 2009 to provide assistance to willing, industrious students from a Toronto Area Public High School who otherwise may not be able to undertake tertiary education.
In 2015 - to honour the memory of Patricia Turner - this scholarship was renamed the John and Patricia Turner Scholarship. Patricia was a loving and caring wife, mother and grandmother who was an inspiration to all of those who were blessed with having her in their lives. She was completely selfless, incredibly maternal, wonderfully creative and believed in the importance of education. It is through this scholarship that students are given the opportunity to strive for their goals and fulfil their dreams knowing that they are supported and that someone believes in them.
John Turner is a retired manager of six major production departments at the Newcastle Steelworks and is familiar with the technology of that industry. John had several overseas trips to study the technology in the USA, Europe, Russia, and Japan. He worked from aged 17 and studied in his own time to obtain a Diploma in Metallurgy (Credit) and eventually a Bachelor of Science. His studies included extra engineering and economics subjects and he keeps abreast of articles about the subjects studied and world politics by continual reading. John retired from heavy industry aged 51 and then worked with his wife in a business for ten years. He has had reasonable success owning property and with trading and investments in the share-market.
Award of this scholarship will give preference to students who have previously studied at Toronto High School in the first instance, and then to any student residing in the Toronto area.
Applicable to Toronto High School, Enabling, Yapug, Open Foundation, Newstep, undergraduate, commencing, STEM, Science, Engineering, Math, technology, equity, disadvantage.
This scholarship is not yet open for 2021. Please log in to the application portal and register interest in this scholarship to receive an email notification when applications open.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in an enabling program (Open Foundation, Yapug or Newstep) or in the 1st year of an undergraduate degree at any campus of the University of Newcastle.
- Students from the Toronto area who have studied at least one year at Toronto Public High School will be given preference.
- Be enrolled in the B Science, B Mathematics, or any B Engineering program (including combined programs). If in an enabling program, be studying STEM related courses and planning to enter into a STEM undergraduate program following your current course.
- Be enrolled full-time (part-time allowable for Open Foundation students).
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Not have previously completed an Australian undergraduate degree program.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or New Zealand Citizen.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
This scholarship provides an annual benefit of $5000, payable as $2,500 each semester of eligible study.
The scholarship is ongoing for the duration of the program, to a maximum of 4 years and total benefit of $20,000.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759