Bradley Nichols Memorial Community Leadership Scholarship
03 March 2021
DonorForsythes, PKF Newcastle and Delbridge Forensic Accounting
The Bradley Nichols Memorial Scholarship was established in 2009 to honour the significant contribution that Brad Nichols made to the University community, through his involvement in business, sporting and community organisations. Brad was a partner at Forsythes, specialising in taxation, when he tragically died at age 33. Brad was a Chartered Accountant and graduate of the University of Newcastle and was a tutor in the Faculty of Business and Law. Brad excelled at sport and had a passion for rugby union, playing with the Wanderers Rugby Club for many years where he also acted as Assistant Treasurer. Brad worked with many community organisations including the Samaritans, Red Kite and the Newcastle chapter of the Property Council. One of Brad’s greatest skills was his ability to balance career, sporting community and family commitments, while having fun and making people laugh.
The Bradley Nichols Memorial Scholarship seeks to support a talented all-rounder student who demonstrates the same athletic and community-focused qualities that were held by Brad. Donors to this scholarship consist of Bradley’s former business partners at Forsythes, and now PKF Newcastle and Delbridge Forensic Accounting.
This Scholarship is the inaugural Community Leadership Scholarship launched in 2018. The University established the ‘Community Leadership’ Scholarship model in 2017 with the intention of supporting students who are committed to their local and global communities and are striving to make a difference. Community Leadership Scholars are organisers, enablers, innovators and leaders. They are those that work tirelessly for little personal gain. They are the type of student who:
- Volunteer with charities, sporting clubs or community service providers in their communities
- Volunteer in their field of study or engage in extra-curricular work to further research outcomes
- Help to organise and implement community projects
- Mentor fellow students at University
- Creating unique and innovative solutions to local problems
- Run clubs and societies for the benefit of other students or participating in wider industry bodies
- Work to ensure environmental sustainability of our local areas
- Work to make the community a better place for future generations
- Displaying leadership qualities generally in the way they live their lives.
Applicable to commerce, accounting, academic achievement, community leaders, 2nd or 3rd year.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in the 2nd or 3rd year of the B Commerce program, majoring in Accounting, with the Faculty of Business and Law, UON.
- Be enrolled either full-time or part-time.
- Be actively involved in your University, local or global community.
- Demonstrate academic achievement by having a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or higher in your current program.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $5,000 to be paid as two lump sums of $2,500 after semester 1 and semester 2 census dates.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759