Victor and Adele Bear Undergraduate Scholarship for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students
06 March 2020
DonorVictor, Adele, Susan and Deidre Bear
This scholarship was established by Victor and Adele Bear to encourage and support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in the Bachelor of Medicine. Victor Bear was an Ear, Nose and Throat surgeon in Sydney. He also travelled to Aboriginal communities in Western NSW and the Northern Territory bringing regular ENT clinics to them. As he came to understand that locally based practitioners were vital to maintaining healthy ears, he also taught Aboriginal health workers how to check for problems before they became chronic. Two of Victor and Adele Bear's daughters, Susan and Deidre continue to support the scholarships to honour their parent's legacy.
A maximum of (1) scholarship will be offered at any one time.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in 2nd year of the Joint Medical Program with University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled either full-time or part-time.
- Demonstrate satisfactory progression through your degree with no failed units.
- Identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and be recognised as such by your community.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
One scholarship will be offered providing a total of $5,000 per year for the duration of the degree, payable in payments of $2,500 to be paid each semester after the census date.
There can only be one recipient at any one time for this scholarship.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759