The Parker Fellowship
DonorThe Architecture Foundation
The Parker Fellowship is an annual travelling scholarship available to students studying architecture at the University of Newcastle. The Fellowship intends to foster the development of future architects by providing students with a unique opportunity to undertake a personally significant programme of international travel revolving around a proposed topic of architectural, cultural, or historical research to be documented by way of visual communication. The successful recipient will visually document their experiences way of sketching - in any medium including digital - and be asked to deliver a presentation to the School of Architecture and The Architecture Foundation on completion of their travel program. Preference will be given to students that are willing to engage with The Architecture Foundation and Architecture Foundation Advisory Committee.
The Fellowship was established in memory of Eric Clarence Parker, who, in 1957 became the first permanent teacher of architecture to be appointed to the fledgling School of Architecture at the Newcastle University College. Eric Parker was head of the school from 1957 to 1965 and later, in 1974, was Professor of Architecture and Dean of the Faculty of Architecture at the University of Newcastle until his retirement in 1984.
Applicable to architecture, drawing, sketching, travel.
This scholarship is not yet open for application in 2020.
Please check back later in the year or, if you are applying for scholarships, register your interest in this scholarship to receive email notification when it opens.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of the Bachelor of Design (Architecture) or in year 1 of the Master in Architecture in the Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, UON.
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $8000 to be paid in a lump sum following census date in the semester of award.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents, academic progress, and performance at interview.
Applicants shortlisted for interview will need to present a detailed travel itinerary, along with a detailed travel budget supporting the proposed topic of research. The presentation should also include your current sketchbook to demonstrate ability to visually document the research and travel experiences.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759