Applications for ethical clearance must be submitted to the Human Research Ethics Committee via the Research Information Management System (RIMS). All staff (including Conjoint) and Higher Degree by Research candidates can access RIMS to submit and manage their applications. The RIMS Help page has user guides and videos for common tasks and problems.
Undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students who are unable to login to RIMS using their University student logon should contact a Human Ethics Officer for assistance. Researchers without a University of Newcastle computer account can also contact a Human Ethics Officer for alternate submission procedures.
Research Ethics Advisors (REAs) have been appointed in Faculties to assist researchers, both staff and students, to design ethically acceptable human research and assist them through the ethics approval process. Enquiries should be directed to the appropriate REA in the first instance.
The HREC Register of Approved Tests and Procedures is now available. For tests and procedures listed in the Register it is not necessary for researchers to provide copies with an application to the HREC for ethics approval.
Application Forms, Guidelines and Procedures
- Application Forms - Initial application form
- Requesting a Variation to an approved research project
- Application Procedures - Course Related Ethics Approval
- Register of Approved Tests and Procedures
- Human Ethics approvals from external HRECs
- Peer Review of Research Proposals Submitted for Ethics Approval
- Submission dates and response times
- Quality Assurance - Quality Assurance Activity Proposal Form
How to Complete and Submit your Annual Progress Report
Researchers who have a University of Newcastle username and password are required to submit their progress report online using the Research Information Management System (RIMS).
Instructions for completion and submission of an Annual Progress Report
1. If the chief investigator/project supervisor has a UoN user name and password, please submit your Progress Report online via RIMS. Also see the Online submission user guide (PDF 460 KB) for more information.
2. If the chief investigator / project supervisor does not have a University of Newcastle account, please download the Annual Progress Report to HREC (DOC 183 KB) and submit it via email as per the instructions on the form.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.