The Centre of Excellence for Equity in Higher Education is engaged in a number of research collaborations with international and internationally renowned academics in the field. Some examples are included below.
International Literature Review: Equity in Higher Education
In 2019, CEEHE and UON were awarded a grant under the National Priorities Pool Scheme to deliver an international literature review on equity in higher education. The project consists of four methodological layers to closely examine large bodies of international research through the lens of Australian HE. The results of the project will feed into national strategic decision making on the use of precious funds to maximise impact of equity programs. The project will develop accessible and useful recommendations for policy-makers and university leaders, including the identification of future research areas. These recommendations will reflect the expertise of the research team as well as the Expert Advisory Group established for this project.
The project team includes:
- Professor Penny Jane Burke
- Associate Professor Peter Howley
- Professor Andrew Brown
- Dr Matthew Bunn
- Matt Lumb
- Dr William Locke, Director for the Centre for the Study of Higher Education at the University of Melbourne
The Expert Advisory Group includes:
- Dr Anna Bennett, Pathways and Academic Learning Support Centre, University of Newcastle
- Professor Trevor Gale, Education Policy and Social Justice, University of Glasgow
- Professor Susan Page, Centre for the Advancement of Indigenous Knowledges, University of Technology Sydney
- Professor Gaële Goastellec, Social and Political Science, University of Lausanne
- A/Professor Kathy Luckett, Centre for Higher Education Development, University of Cape Town
- A/Professor Lauren Misiaszek, Institute of International and Comparative Education, Beijing Normal University
- Professor Linda Sax, Graduate School of Education & Information Studies, University of California Los Angeles
- Equity Practitioners in Higher Education Australasia (EPHEA)
- National Association of Enabling Educators of Australia (NAEEA)
Struggles and Strategies:
Struggles and Strategies represents a suite of empirical research projects examining how the interface of equity and employability impacts students from disadvantaged backgrounds in the context of the rapidly changing HE and graduate employment landscapes. A published report on this work, examines the role of higher education institutions in perpetuating social inequalities and offers recommendations designed to support students from all social groups throughout their undergraduate study and into their transitions to graduate labour markets.
The projects are led by Dr Steven Threadgold and Professor Penny Jane Burke, along with Dr Matthew Bunn, Dr David Farrugia and Professor Nicola Ingram, Department of Education, Childhood and Inclusion, Sheffield Hallam University.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.