The University recognises the contribution Early Career Researchers (ECRs) make to the University’s research profile and productivity. UON is committed to supporting and developing ECRs research and research leadership, through the provision of PhD candidate scholarships.
Applications for the Women in Research STEMM ECR PhD Candidate Scholarships are now OPEN
The Women in Research [WIR] STEMM Early Career Researcher [ECR] PhD Candidate scholarships support the University’s commitment to fostering and developing ECR’s research and research leadership through the provision of fully funded PhD scholarships. The PhD scholarships are available for domestic candidates only (Australian and New Zealand citizens and Australian Permanent Residents and Humanitarian visa holders).
A primary focus of the initiative is supporting the development of ECR Women in STEMM fields, particularly those in low female participation disciplines (e.g., physics, mathematics and engineering) with the aim to redress some of the systemic biases that early career women face, including fewer HDR supervision opportunities and support.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIPS
These scholarships are intended to enhance ECR projects and bring together quality PhD candidates with committed ECRs for their mutual benefit. This initiative is an initiative of Research Advantage and the University’s Athena SWAN SAGE Pilot Action Plan, and aligns with the NeW Futures Strategic Plan 2016-2025 focus on supporting researchers’ endeavours and attracting high calibre research candidates.
|6 April 2020||Closing date for ECR applications|
|By 30 April 2020||ECR applicants advised of outcome|
|31 May 2020||Closing date for PhD candidates’ applications|
|30 June 2020||PhD candidates advised of outcome|
|31 July 2020||Latest date for PhD candidates to commence candidature and scholarship|
The University requires that all ECR applicants satisfy the following eligibility criteria;
- Applicants must be a paid employee of the University of Newcastle; and
- Applicants must hold an Academic Level A, B or C appointment in a STEMM Faculty (FEBE, FSCI and FHEAM) and the remaining term of the appointment must meet or exceed the tenure of the PhD program (4 Years) or written evidence from the unit of employment to extend the current appointment commensurate to the length of the PhD program; and
- Applicants were awarded their PhD no less than 12 months ago and no more than five years ago, with consideration given to periods of career interruption. Career interruptions may include but are not limited to periods of non-research employment, parental leave, misadventure or carer responsibilities; and
- Applicants cannot have been previous recipients of an ECR HDR scholarship.
ECR applicants must submit the following documentation to the Dean of Graduate Research Dean-Graduate-Research@newcastle.edu.au no later than 5pm on the closing date for ECR applications.
- Completed application form
- List of the ECR’s research achievements post the award of their PhD (i.e. a publications list; conference presentations; income; and grant applications, indicating success or otherwise)
ECR applicants must obtain the support of their Head of School and Assistant Dean Research Training prior to the application closing date.