The University recognises the contribution Early Career Researchers (ECRs) make to the University’s research profile and productivity.UON is committed to supporting and developing ECRs research and research leadership, through the provision of Higher Degree Research (HDR) candidate scholarships.
Applications are now OPEN
These scholarships provide an opportunity for ECRs to facilitate their own research, mature their leadership capabilities and build their reputation both as a supervisor and as a researcher.
In establishing their research careers, ECRs can find it difficult to secure research funding to support HDR candidates; these scholarships provide an opportunity for ECRs to supervise a fully funded HDR candidate.
These scholarships also fast track the ECR to being a principal HDR supervisor. The ECR must be the principal supervisor for the scholarship recognition but is required to have an experienced supervisor as supervisory mentor and co-supervisor for the candidate.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIPS
Up to 15 scholarships are available through a competitive process to boost ECR projects, support the aspirations of ECRs and advance the University’s future leading researchers. Thee scholarships are limited to domestic candidates (Australian and New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents and Humanitarian visa holders) and seek to bring together quality prospective research candidates with committed early career supervisors for their mutual benefit.
The fully funded scholarship provides a living allowance and tuition fees.
Applications are open to all ECRs (1-5 years post PhD with consideration given to career disruptions).
Applications will be assessed according to:
- how supervising a HDR candidate will strengthen the ECR’s research career
- how the research contributes to UON’s areas of research concentration, including any collaborative aspects
- prior experience of the ECR in supervising Honours and/or HDR candidates
- ECR’s track record relative to opportunity – such as publications, conference presentations, awards, income, grant applications, near misses, professional body association etc.
Applications are invited until close of business Monday 12 March 2018.
ECRs who are successful for a HDR candidate scholarship are encouraged to actively recruit the right candidate for their project. The candidate must:
- be commencing a HDR full time
- start no later than 30 November 2018
- meet standard scholarship eligibility criteria
- Early Career Research HDR Candidate Scholarship Application Form
- Early Career Research HDR Candidate Scholarship Guidelines