Research Information Management System (RIMS)
- Is my information secure?
- Who can see my information?
- Can I access RIMS away from the University?
- What web browsers can I use?
- I use a Mac – can I access RIMS?
- Can I make changes to the information in my proposals and protocols?
- Can I make submissions to grants and ethics online?
- Can I make an online submission on behalf of my CI or project supervisor?
- Having problems with the 'innovation or intervention' question in the human ethics initial application e-form?
If you have a suggestion for a FAQ please contact RIMS.
1. Is my information secure?
Yes. All information in RIMS is retained within the University and is protected by the IT Infrastructure. Information that is transmitted by the system is encrypted using SSL.
2. Who can see my information?
You and other university investigators named in the list of research personnel on your proposal or protocol will have the same view access to the record.
Staff in Research Services who are involved in the administration of your grant or ethics applications, awards, etc., have full access to the respective proposals and protocols. Other staff have edit or read only access as called for depending on their role in the administrative process, e.g. finance staff have access to proposals where funding is awarded.
You may also lodge a request by emailing email@example.com for an individual to have delegated access to your records. This may be useful for researchers who employ project managers or research assistants who are not identified in the research personnel on a project. It is the researcher's responsibility to manage the delegation and to advise the RIMS administrator when the delegation should be cancelled.
University personnel who are not listed as an investigator on any proposal or protocol, do not have senior administrative access, and do not have delegated rights, will not be able to see any records.
3. Can I access RIMS away from the University?
Yes. Wherever you have access to an internet connection you can access RIMS. However, because personal information about you is held in the RIMS system, you should ensure that the computer you use has adequate antivirus and malware software installed.
4. What web browsers can I use?
The preferred browser is Firefox. However, you can also use Internet Explorer or Safari. The minimum recommended versions are Firefox 3.0, Internet Explorer 7, and Safari 3.2.3.
5. I use a Mac - can I access RIMS?
Yes. You can use either a Mac or a Windows PC.
6. Can I make changes to the information in my proposals and protocols?
No. You have read access only. If you believe that any of the information is incorrect please contact the Support person for the relevant module.
7. Can I make submissions to grants and ethics online?
Online submissions for grants is not available at this stage.
8. Can I make an online submission on behalf of my CI or project supervisor?
The CI/Project Supervisor must submit the completed form, however another member of the research team can log on and contribute to the completion of the eForm (provided they are named in the personnel section on the protocol).
After you have created a submission, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or the system Support person to have your name added to the record so you can continue accessing the submission during its development.
9. Having problems with the 'innovation or intervention' question in the human ethics initial application e-form?
The initial application e-form has recently been updated to address this problem, however, if you created your initial application prior to this update, you may still experience a problem with RIMS accepting your choice of tick box response on Page 4 of the application for "An innovation or intervention which is not standard practice in the study population NS3.3". This becomes apparent when you try to 'complete' the application.
The work around for this issue is to make sure all other questions/changes on the form have been finalised and saved, then select the appropriate check box response for this question and go straight to the 'complete' process (without saving this particular change). If you still experience issues after following this process, please contact RIMS support on 492 17894.