The University of Newcastle has an obligation to adhere to a number of codes relating to research.
In most cases these codes are developed by funding bodies, such as the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) and the Australian Research Council (ARC) in conjunction with other parties, including Universities Australia, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, and the Australian Vice-Chancellors' Committee.
Compliance with these Codes is a prerequisite for receipt of funding from these and other bodies.
Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research (2007)
The Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research (2007) guides institutions and researchers in responsible research practices and promotes integrity in research. Developed jointly by the National Health and Medical Research Council, the Australian Research Council and Universities Australia, the Code has broad relevance across all research disciplines. It replaces the Joint NHMRC/AVCC Statement and Guidelines on Research Practice (1997).
National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (2007)
The National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (2007) is designed to clarify the responsibilities of institutions and researchers for the ethical design, conduct and dissemination of results of human research.
Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes (2013)
The purpose of the Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes 8th Edition (2013) is to ensure the ethical and humane care and use of animals used for scientific purposes as defined in the Code. The principles set out in the Code are for the guidance of investigators, teachers, institutions, Animal Ethics Committees and all people involved in the care and use of animals for scientific purposes.
University of Newcastle
Policies, Procedures and Guidelines Relating to Research
Key research related documents are listed below. A full list of University policies, procedures and guidelines can be accessed through the University of Newcastle Policy Library.
- Authorship of Research Policy - 000856
- Inclusive Research Practice Guideline - 000774
- Interview Recording and Transcribing - Human Research Ethics Procedure - 000417
- Investigation of Allegations of Research Misconduct Guidelines - 000872
- Research Data and Materials Management Guideline - D09/2041P
- Research Publication Responsibility Guideline - 000857
- Responsible Conduct of Research Policy - 000873
- Telephone Interviewing (Human Research Ethics) Procedure - 000351
- The Use of S4 and S8 Drugs (Animal Care & Ethics) Policy - 000359
- Participant Recruitment for Human Research Guidelines - 001041 D
- Peer Review of Research Proposals Submitted for Ethics Approval Procedure - 000800
- Volunteers (including Volunteer Researcher) Policy - 000904
- Volunteers (including Volunteer Researcher) Procedure - 000905
- University Outside Work Policy - D12/26657P