National Institutes of Health (NIH)
The American National Institutes of Health (NIH) is the principal federal agency responsible for conducting and supporting biomedical and behavioural research to improve public health in the US.
It comprises 27 separate institutes and centres (ICs), each with its own specific research agenda and broadly defined mission:
- National Cancer Institute
- National Eye Institute
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
- National Human Genome Research Institute
- National Institute on Aging
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
- National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- National Institute of General Medical Sciences
- National Institute of Mental Health
- National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- National Institute of Nursing Research
- National Library of Medicine
- Center for Information Technology
- Center for Scientific Review
- Fogarty International Center
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
- National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences
- NIH Clinical Center
Each institute functions independently, determining how to allocate its own funds, and as a result, funding strategies vary by institute.
The NIH regularly announces new funding opportunities. The NIH Grants Guide allows Researchers to search for current opportunities across the various institutes and centres.
Researchers can also subscribe to weekly updates.
UON DUNS Number
A DUNS number must be included in every NIH application for a new or competing continuation grant or cooperative agreement. The identifier will be used for tracking purposes, and to validate address and point of contact information.
- The University of Newcastle's DUNS Number is 7511621730000
How to apply
- Contact email@example.com to notify the Research office of your intent to apply. Our office will let you know what internal deadlines apply and what internal submission procedures you need to follow (these may change depending on the Research program requirements)
- Register for an eRA commons account and Principal Investigator (PI) The Research office will organise this step once you have notified of your intention to submit.
- Prepare and submit your application. Log in to Assist using your eRA commons log in and password
- Verify your application in eRA Commons and Assist.
If you have any questions, or need assistance with the application processes please contact firstname.lastname@example.org