The University of Newcastle actively seeks research collaboration and meaningful partnership with institutions globally. International research grant applications are an important mechanism to instigate new and emerging collaborations, as well as maintain more established connections.
Key International Funding Agencies
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) is the main US health research funding body.
- Human Frontier Science Program is an International organisation with member countries, including Australia
- Horizon 2020 and the European Research Council (ERC) are the main funding bodies for the EU.
- US Department of Defense Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program (CDMRP)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRS)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
Australian Sources of Funding for International Collaborations
Domestically, both the ARC and NHMRC support international collaborations, and fund specific schemes to encourage international research. Please refer to their external websites to review those activities currently on offer.
Other international funding sources
The above is by no means an exhaustive list of international funding bodies. If you are searching for international opportunities directly related to your research, discipline area, or a particular country, you can do so using Research Professional.
Research Professional provides an extensive database of international funding opportunities that Australian researchers are eligible to apply for. All University staff are able to search for grants, awards, fellowships, and other opportunities, as well as setup personalised searches and alerts to stay informed of new opportunities as they arise.
More information on how to log in as well as User Guides for setting up searches, can be found on the UON website.
If you have any questions regarding international research grant applications, please contact email@example.com.