2019 Australia-Germany Joint Research Cooperation Scheme
This scheme is OPEN, closing on Thursday 13 June 2019.
The Australia-Germany Joint Research Cooperation Scheme is a combined initiative between Universities Australia (UA) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Germany's national agency for the support of international academic cooperation.
The UON has committed at least one application at $12,500 (p.a max) each this round open to all disciplines. Projects are funded for one or two years commencing in 2020, and are specifically for travel and living expenses.
This is an exchange program – Australian researchers spend time at German institutions and reciprocally, German researchers visit the UON to work on a joint research project. Proposals must provide opportunities for exchanges between early career researchers (ECRs). It is encouraged but not compulsory to be an ECR to apply, however projects that do not include opportunities for ECRs on both sides will not be considered.
For the purpose of this scheme 'early career researcher' means;
- a PhD or Research Masters student enrolled at a participating Australian university;
- a researcher who has had a Research Masters or PhD awarded within fiver years of the date of application; or
- a researcher who received their award more than five years before the date of application but who, due to career interruptions, has less than the equivalent of five cumulative years of research experience.
Process for Australian applicants:
It is a two-step process. UON researchers submit a separate but complementary application to their German colleagues. UON applications are reviewed internally in July; German applications are reviewed by the DAAD in October. BOTH applications must be ranked highly to be successful.
Australian applicants must also obtain an application ID from their German colleagues which is issued by the DAAD when the German application is submitted.
Please refer to the Universities Australia (UA) website for full application details, including the revised 2019 Application Form and Terms and Conditions of the scheme which includes a definition of ECRs. It is also recommended that interested applicants review the FAQs and list of projects funded in 2018-19.
In addition to the general eligibility requirements, UON applicants must be:
- Australian citizens or permanent residents. Honorary and adjunct/conjoint academic staff are not eligible to apply, nor are staff on SSP.
- Domestic only PhD students enrolled at UON. Applications must be submitted by an eligible UON staff member as a team leader.
Please have your German colleagues check their institutional eligibility directly with the DAAD. The contact is Mr Martin Müller: Ph +49 (0) 228 882 8330 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Key Dates for 2019
Closing date for UON applications (send to email@example.com)
COB 13 June 2019
UON Research Office will notify applicants of their internal ranking
DAAD Selection Panel meets (UA representative in attendance)
All applicants notified of outcomes