About animal ethics
The University of Newcastle undertakes a range of biomedical and biological research, some of which may involve animals.
We are firmly committed to the ethical treatment of animals involved in research. We also ensure approved studies have merit and are conducted with integrity and scientific rigour.
We have an independent Animal Care and Ethics Committee which oversees the care and welfare of animals we work with. It’s made up of community members, animal welfare representatives, veterinary scientists and academics.
The use of vertebrate animals for research or teaching purposes must meet the requirements of the NSW Animal Research Act 1985, NSW Animal Research Regulation 2010 and the Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes 8th Edition (2013) (PDF 450 KB)(enacted under the Act).
The legislation embodies the principles of reduction in the number of animals used, replacement of animals with non-animal alternatives and refinement of techniques and procedures to reduce the impact on animals.
Before any vertebrate animal can be used for research or teaching purposes, the researcher must obtain approval from the ACEC.
Researchers who use animals for research or teaching purposes have a personal responsibility for all matters relating to the welfare of the animals they use. This responsibility embraces a duty of care that demands a genuine commitment to the welfare of the animals, a respect for the contribution that animals make to research and teaching, and a desire to promote the animal's wellbeing.
- NSW Animal Research Act 1985
- NSW Animal Research Regulation 2010
- Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes 8th Edition (2013) (PDF 450 KB)
Relevant University of Newcastle policies
- Animal Ethics Infolink - Developed by the Animal Research Review Panel and NSW Department of Primary Industries - Animal Welfare Branch.
- NHMRC Animal Welfare Committee
- NetVet Veterinary Resources - This website provides a comprehensive listing of all types of internet resources relating to veterinary science, laboratory animals, their welfare and alternatives to animal use.
- NetVet hotlinks
- World Wide Web Resources for Veterinary & Related Organisations and Associations - Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee