Industry Growth Centres
Growth Centres are being established to deliver the Initiative in six industry sectors of competitive strength and strategic priority:
- Advanced Manufacturing;
- Cyber Security;
- Food and Agribusiness;
- Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals;
- Mining Equipment, Technology and Services; and
- Oil, Gas and Energy Resources.
The Initiative is ongoing with $248 million in Australian Government funding over the four years from 2015/16 to 2018/19. They will be tasked with looking at four broad themes:
- Identifying regulations that are unnecessary or over-burdensome for the key growth sectors and impede their ability to grow, and suggesting possible reforms;
- Improving engagement between research and industry, and within industry, to achieve stronger coordination and collaboration of research and stronger commercialisation outcomes in the key growth sectors;
- Improving the capability of the key growth sectors to engage with international markets and access global supply chains; and
- Improving the management and workforce skills of key growth sectors.
Whilst there is no direct funding for universities several of the government schemes, including some of the schemes listed above, focus on these sectors.