UON provides all students with the facilities, technology and funding to succeed. It is important that you know what you are entitled to, and how to access it.
You may be eligible for research funding support of a minimum $1,500 pa (pro-rata) each year. This funding can be used towards conference travel, consumables or other expenses you might need to carry out your research. These funds are administered by your School and are normally only available after the successful completion of confirmation of candidature. Please contact your Faculty’s Research Training Officer for more information.
Your Faculty is also responsible for providing you with access to a workstation and other office facilities required to undertake your research. see the Guidelines for Resourcing Higher Degree by Research Students (PDF, 23.2KB).
Your Research Training Officer will be able to assist with the allocation of these resources.
To support you in your studies you will be provided with a free Dell laptop computer, which is yours to keep when you successfully complete. You will be contacted prior to enrolment with details on how to collect your laptop. If you missed this email or have any queries, please contact UON Graduate Research: firstname.lastname@example.org . Click on the link to view the standard suite of software provided.
Dell Latitude 5490
- 14.0” HD (1366 x 768) Non-Touch LCD with Webcam
- 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8350U Processor (Quad Core, 6M Cache, 1.7 GHz)
- 8GB (1x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
- M.2 256GB PCIe NVMe Class 35 Solid State Drive
- Intel® Integrated UHD Graphics 620
- Intel® Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8265 Wi-Fi + BT 4.2 Wireless Card (2x2)
- Primary 4 Cell 68W/HR Battery
- 65 Watt AC Adaptor
- 4Yr ProSupport: Next Business Day Onsite Service
- Battery Carries 1Yr Warranty from Invoice Date
- Dell Professional Briefcase 14
- Dell Multimedia Keyboard (English) - Black
- Dell Optical Mouse - Black
- Ports: 1x HDMI, 1x Ethernet, 1x VGA, 1x DisplayPort over USB-C, 3x USB 3.1, 1x headphone/microphone
IT Services will provide support for the standard configuration of your laptop. Please log a support call with the 17triplezero IT Service Desk.
If your Principal Supervisor has indicated that a more advanced computer is required for your research, your academic unit will arrange for this to be issued to you.
Off-campus candidates may be provided with a laptop upon request. Note that the University is unable to provide comprehensive IT support to candidates located off-campus.
The Academic Research Computing Support (ARCS) team is responsible for meeting the specialised computing needs of UON researchers, academic staff and research students. If you require access to High Performance Computing facilities or a research application not provided in the standard suite of software you can make a request via ServiceUON.
Repair / Replacement of Standard Dell Laptops
The University will provide each candidate with one laptop only under this scheme. The custody and security of the computer and any accessories are your responsibility at all times. You are strongly advised to maintain backup copies of your work stored on the computer at all times.
If your laptop is stolen, lost or damaged, please note the below process for repair / replacement:
- The candidate reports potential damage / lost laptop to supervisors and UON Graduate Research
- Candidates reporting damage to their laptops will then be required to submit the laptop to IT Services for verification of the extent of the damage (minor damage may be repaired; and the candidate may be offered a temporary replacement laptop in the interim, subject to laptop availability)
- Candidates reporting a lost/stolen laptop will be required to complete a statutory declaration to that effect.
- UON GR will issue a replacement used Dell laptop subject to laptop availability.
- The candidate must return the replacement laptop at the time of thesis submission or cessation of their candidature.
Please note that the standard warranty period for new issue Dell laptops is 4 years. This does not cover any user-fault damage e.g., the laptop being dropped or liquid spillages. IT Services will continue to provide support for HDR laptops that exceed the warranty period, however, if the laptop is not covered by warranty this may affect the likelihood of any damage being repaired.
In an effort to support all HDR candidates throughout their program, the above process will be applied for faulty laptops out of warranty (and subject to availability), a suitable replacement Dell laptop provided.