University and Commonwealth Government Scholarships
Next scholarship round applications close 1 September 2018
Round 2, 2018
Pre-Identified Candidate Code (PIC Code): To be eligible for consideration, applications must include a Pre Identified Candidate Code in their application. Applications without a PIC Code will be automatically deemed unsuccessful for scholarship.
- Closing Date: 1 September 2018
- Latest Outcome Date: 1 December 2018
- Latest Commencement Date: 1 June 2019
Round 1, 2019
- Opening Date: 2 September, 2018
- Closing Date: 16 February 2019
- Latest Outcome Date: 1 June 2019
- Latest Commencement Date: 4 January 2020
What does the scholarship offer?
A scholarship funded by the University of Newcastle or the Commonwealth Government provides:
- An annual living allowance $27,082 per annum (2018 rate - indexed annually)
The scholarship may also include:
- A relocation allowance (up to $1,500)
- A full tuition fee scholarship
- A laptop for your research studies
- Overseas student health cover (OSHC) (Single cover for international candidates)
PhD scholarships are for three and a half years and Masters scholarships are for two years, less any tenure already completed towards a research degree.
Am I eligible for a scholarship?
To be eligible for scholarship you must:
- enter a Pre-Identified Candidate Code (provided by your potential UON supervisor) in the online application
- satisfy the English proficiency requirement (IELTS of at least 6.5, 7.0 in some disciplines)
- meet admission eligibility criteria
- be no more than two full-time equivalent years into their PhD (or one year for Masters) at the scholarship closing date in which you are applying.
Successful international scholarship candidates usually also have:
- A master degree with strong research component
- International peer reviewed research publication or research experience
Key scholarship conditions
- be enrolled full-time (part-time enrolment may be approved in exceptional circumstances. Part-time scholarships are taxable)
- be enrolled on-campus (off-campus enrolment may be approved in exceptional circumstances)
- scholars may only work a maximum of 8 hours per week (between Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
- scholarship offers must be taken up by the latest commencement date for the round in which the scholar has applied.
UON Disability Support PhD Scholarships
There are a number of scholarships available to international students.
Need more information about scholarships?
- T: +61 2 4921 7486
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org