The Australian-American Fulbright Commission is a non-profit organisation sponsored by the United States (U.S.) and Australian governments. It has a rich history of supporting educational excellence and forging new ground in the area of partnerships and scholarships.
The Commission’s central focus is developing long-lasting, productive and bilateral relations between Australia and the U.S.. The Fulbright program is highly prestigious, with scholars and alumni forming invaluable networks both nationally and internationally.
The University of Newcastle (UON) is extremely proud of its partnership with the Commission, which closely aligns with NeW Futures, the University’s research and innovation goals of facilitating collaborations on a regional, national and global scale and is offering two distinct areas of Fulbright support.
Australian application dates: 1 February 2018 to 15 July 2018
Research Advantage - UON Fulbright Commission Support Program
In order to provide UON researchers with a competitive edge when applying for Fulbright Scholarships, the UON Fulbright Commission Support Program has been established to facilitate an application review feedback and mock interview opportunities for successful applicants who are applying for the following 2018 Fulbright Australian Scholarship opportunities:
* Postgraduate Scholarships - For postgraduate students undertaking their Australian PhD to conduct research and/or study in the U.S.; or to support enrolment in a U.S. postgraduate program such as a Masters. Includes the prestigious Fulbright-Anne Wexler Scholarship in Public Policy.
* Postdoctoral Scholarships - For researchers who have completed their PhD in the past two to three years (up to five years under extenuating circumstances) to undertake postdoctoral research in the U.S.
* Professional Scholarships - For mid-career professionals in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors to undertake training or research programs in the U.S. Also open to academics whose primary research has industry or professional links.
* Indigenous Scholarships - For an Indigenous scholar to undertake a research or study program in the United States, and is available in any field of academic study and across the Postgraduate, Postdoctoral, Professional and Senior Scholar Categories
* Senior Scholarships - For senior level academics (at Associate Professor or full Professor level) to undertake research at a U.S. institution.
* Distinguished Chair in Agriculture and Life Sciences - Sponsored by Kansas State University - For Senior Level academics at the level of full Professor to work with Kansas State University faculty in priority research areas, leading to ongoing collaborative partnerships between the U.S. and Australia. A public lecture series forms part of this program.
University of Newcastle sponsored Fulbright Distinguished Chair and Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarships
The University of Newcastle (UON) is in its second year of sponsorship for two scholarships offered in the Fulbright program – a Fulbright Distinguished Chair, and Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarship. For applications in 2018, applicants should align with one or more of the 19 UON Priority Research Centres.
Fulbright Distinguished Chair
The Fulbright Distinguished Chair will enable an exceptional United States (U.S.) senior scholar to undertake research of shared importance to Australia and the U.S. at UON for up to six months. This scholarship will also involve a national lecture series in which the selected candidate will travel on the Fulbright Roadshow and present on topics in their field of expertise.
Applicants with existing relationships with the University will be viewed favourably, and we strongly recommend UON researchers make contact with suitable collaborators in the U.S., and encourage applications. The Fulbright Connections Brochure may be useful in providing further information about our University and the Fulbright Distinguished Chair and postdoctoral scholarships leaflet is a resource which can be used to raise awareness about the scholarships.
Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarship
The Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarship is aimed at researchers who have recently completed a PhD, enabling a U.S. scholar to undertake up to ten months of postdoctoral research at the UON.
Applicants with existing relationships with the University will be viewed favourably, and we strongly recommend UON researchers to make contact with suitable collaborators in the U.S., and encourage applications. The Fulbright Connections Brochure may be useful in providing further information about our University and the Fulbright Distinguished Chair and postdoctoral scholarships leaflet is a resource which can be used to raise awareness about the scholarships.