Tectonics and Earth Resources
Our research examines the geological processes that form the physical environment in which we live. This is achieved within the plate tectonic framework that focuses on the formation and dispersal of continents, opening of oceanic basins and formation of mountain belts.
Within this framework, we aim to identify specific tectonic settings which enable us to understand evolution of the Australian continent.
We have a specific research focus on:
- magma generation and granite emplacement;
- relation of magmatism to metamorphism and crustal deformation;
- physical and numerical simulation of plate tectonics and rock deformation;
- physical processes and consequences of volcanism and sedimentation;
- physical and chemical controls on the formation of natural resources.