- Global leadership in research
- World-class innovation
- A research career at UoN
- Research Degrees
Institutes and centres
- Hunter Medical Research Institute
- Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources
- Advanced Particle Processing and Transport
- Asthma and Respiratory Diseases
- Bioinformatics, Biomarker Discovery and Information-Based Medicine
- Chemical Biology
- Complex Dynamic Systems and Control
- Computer Assisted Research Mathematics and its Applications
- Frontier Energy Technologies & Utilisation
- Gender, Health and Ageing
- Geotechnical and Materials Modelling
- Health Behaviour
- Organic Electronics
- Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Reproductive Science
- Translational Neuroscience and Mental Health
- Centre of Excellence for Geotechnical Science and Engineering
- Centre of Excellence in Bioinformatics
- Research Hub for Advanced Technologies for Australian Iron Ore
- Cancer treatment
- Integrated Engineering Asset Management
- Contamination Assessment and Remediation of the Environment
- Australia-China Research Centre for Crop Improvement
- Clinical Nutrition Research Centre
- Balanced Land Use
- Bulk Solids and Particulate Technologies
- Hunter Creative Industries and Technology
- Equity in Higher Education
- Family Action Centre (FAC)
- Frontier Energy Technologies
- Frontier Geoscience (IFG)
- Full Employment and Equity
- Health Professional Education
- History of Violence
- Infrastructure Performance and Reliability
- Intelligent Electricity Networks
- Interdisciplinary Built Environment Research
- Ironmaking Materials Research
- Mass and Thermal Transport in Engineering Materials
- Multiphase Processes
- NSW Energy Innovation Knowledge Hub
- Optimal Planning and Operations
- Plant Science
- Purai - Global Indigenous and Diaspora Research
- Resources Health and Safety
- Rural and Remote Mental Health
- Signal Processing Microelectronics
- Social Research in Energy and Resources
- Space Physics
- Special Education and Disability Studies
- Study of Research Training and Impact - SORTI
- Tom Farrell Institute for the Environment
- Umulliko Indigenous Higher Education Centre
- Urban and Regional Studies
- Water, Climate and Land-use
- Business and Law Research
- Education and Arts Research
- Engineering and Built Environment Research
- Health and Medicine Research
Science and IT Research
- Advanced Chemistry
- Applied Informatics Research
- Cognitive Psychology
- Communication and Media Research
- Environmental Biology and Biotechnology
- Environmental and Climate Change
- Environmental Water Science
- Exercise and Sport Science
- Marine Natural Products and Chemical Ecology
- Medical Physics
- Metabolic Research
- Natural History Illustration
- Nutrition, Food and Health
- Sensory, Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience
- Surface and Nanoscience
- Sustainable Use of Coasts and Catchments
- Tectonics and Earth Resources
- Researcher resources
- Celebrating 50 years of research at UON
Nutrition, Food and Health
Research into nutrition, food and health at the University of Newcastle's Ourimbah Campus makes a significant contribution to the Faculty of Science & IT research portfolio. The scope of research encompasses both novel and traditional areas of food, nutrition and biologically active natural products.
Scientists work as a cohesive and focused research entity composed of productive researchers who have a broad range of interests, which include:
Nutrition at Ourimbah takes an integrated approach to problem solving in recognition of advances in molecular biology that can help to explain how nutrients and genes conspire to influence human health.
- Functional Foods/Food
Another key strategy is to better understand functional food bioactives and how they impact on human health. This includes folic acid, green tea catechins and probiotics
- Food Processing and Post-Harvest
Food processing and post-harvest technology including the role of nitric oxide in post-harvest plant preservation.
- Herbal Therapies/Xenobiotics
A number of projects have resulted in a series of recommendations for the herb industry regarding quality control of herbal products.
The University of Newcastle's (UON) Architecture and Built Environment disc...
Whether you love your courses or not, we want to know. That way we can keep...
NIER's Centre for Water, Climate and Land-Use has been awarded an Australia...
The University of Newcastle kicked off the beginning of a year of celebrati...
Having succumbed to the Academics team last year, the students are out for ...
Human Rights and Health in North KoreaFeaturing guest speaker the Hon. Mich...
This exhibition explores the history of the Aboriginal people of the Newcas...
The University of Newcastle Sociology and Anthropology Seminar Series prese...
COMPETITION DEADLINE EXTENDED!'50 X 50 SECONDS for 50 YEARS' Smartphone Vid...
Open to members of the Religion, Marxism and Secularism group, and interest...