SOIL MECHANICS LABORATORY
- Gas Pycnometer – for the measurement of specific gravity of soils or rock specimens.
- Sedigraph Particle Sizer – for measurement of particle size distribution for particle sizes ranging for 300um to 0.1um by measuring particle settling velocities using x-ray absorption
- Mercury Intrusion Porosimeter – allows measurement of micro pore size distributions.
- Ion chromatography – for determining cation concentrations in soil or ground water.
- Thermogravimetric Analyser (TGA) – allows for thermal analysis in which changes in physical and chemical properties of materials are measured as a function of increasing temperature.
- Stress Path Triaxal Systems – 6 stress path triaxial systems, 4 manufactured by GDS instruments and 2 specific soft soil systems manufactured by Imperial College London. The systems allow for a range of testing capacities for testing of specimens ranging in consistency from very soft clay to soft rock.
- Bender Elements System – in-house developed system allows measurement of the seismic velocity or small strain stiffness of a sample and can be incorporated into a triaxial or oedometer specimen.
- Oedometer system – an in-house system that includes bender elements transducers to evaluate the shear wave velocity during CRS and Incremental Loading testing, capable of controlling /monitoring the pore fluid chemistry in natural soils.
- Laboratory Vane Shear – bespoke equipment allowing measurement of rate effects.
- Rheometer – measurement of rheological properties soft soils and slurries.
- Bromshead Ring Shear apparatus – determination of drained residual shear strength.
- Dynamic Triaxial Systems – 3 dynamic systems, manufactured by GCTS, GDS and IPC allow for a range of dynamic triaxial tests in term of sample size and dynamic frequency.
- Large Scale Stress Controlled Calibration Chamber.
Figure 1: Lever Arm Oedometer and Imperial College Stress Path Triaxial
For further information regarding testing capabilities and rates please contact:
Piority Research Centre for Geotechnical Science & Engineering
Discipline Civil, Surveying & Environmental Engineering
University of Newcastle
T: +61 2 4921 8978
M: +61 408 292 638