Community Connect is an exciting new program within the Family Action Centre which builds and strengthens connections between the University and community.
The Community Connect program is based in four communities within the Hunter and Central Coast.
Community Connect supports and encourages learning and education, and strives to raise the awareness of careers and career pathways for young people and their families by:
- Working collaboratively with service providers and other community partners
- Coordinating a comprehensive university student placement and volunteer program
- Building on community assets and strengths related to learning and education
- Promoting positive Community-University-School engagement for mutual benefit
- Brings students from different disciplines together to work within community projects
- Enables students from a wide range of disciplines to work collaboratively and inter-professionally on projects within their placement
- Promotes greater access and equity for groups that are currently under represented at the University
- Uses Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) practice in our community engagement
- Identifies opportunities for students to be integrated into existing community projects
- Identifies local resources and opportunities for educational promotion
- Promotes community engaged learning
- Creates opportunities for research
- Supports Academics with new approaches to student learning