CBSPT Research is at the forefront of applied materials handling for today and beyond. CBSPT research is delivering and developing future pathways for industry through the distinct pillars of Mining and Processing, Agriculture and Biomass, Energy and Resources and Health and Environment, combined with innovative design research, namely:
- Mining and Processing: innovative material handling for modern mining industry challenges
- Agriculture and Biomass: Optmised agricultural collection, storage, feed and transportation
- Energy and Resources: Biomass and waste handling and utilisation opportunities
- Design and Modelling: Advanced industrial simulation through adaptive design methods
- Health and Environment: Dust and particulate matter characterisation for the improvement of air quality.
CBSPT materials handling research, in conjunction with TUNRA Bulk Solids, has actively engaged with industry for over 40 years. CBSPT research will continue to provide future pathways for materials handling through short, medium and long term engagement opportunities. CBSPT is actively engaged with the broader research community to provide full project capabilities for industry challenges. In broad terms, modern fundamental and industry research encompasses:
MINING & PROCESSING: Throughout the transport and handling corridor, from pit to port and beyond. Smart system materials handling, control and optimisation; innovation in belt conveying concepts and design; interface of feeders and transfers of problematic material; advancement in second generation de-watering systems; development of improved material handling approaches for wet and sticky material; improved dust mitigation strategies; utilisation strategies for mines waste and tailings from mine to port and more.
AGRICULTURE & BIOMASS: From paddock to process plant and port. Innovation in silo design from farm to factory. In precision pneumatics to feed dynamics in seeding and fertilisation. Improved moisture control and dust mitigation in loading and unloading systems and more.
ENERGY & RESOURCES: Optimised and innovative solutions from feed into and waste from the energy unit; new characterisation techniques for dilative biomass and green waste feedstock. Feedstock Interface solutions for second generation ethanol systems.Modern biomass materials handling systems and more.
DESIGN & MODELLING: Leaders in applied numerical approaches of Discrete Element Modelling (DEM), Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Finite Element Analysis (FEA) for bulk materials systems, CBSPT Research develops the tools which underpin these advances in materials handling technologies. Advanced materials handling characterisation for wet and sticky materials; ongoing development of continuum and discrete design methods. Enabling current research into newer numerical methods of Smooth Particle Hydro-dynamics (SPH) and Multi-Body Dynamics (MBD) for bulk material design and advancing combined DEM-centric numerical approaches of DEM-CFD, DEM-MBD, DEM-SPH, DEM-FEM for advanced bulk material design and more.
HEALTH & ENVIRONMENT: High level multi-disciplinary research involving the investigation of particulate matter effects in human health; waste to resource; tailings utilisation aiming at a holistic approach to mine site rehabilitation.
Industry Engagement and Funding
CBSPT Research engagement ranges from small scale research requiring immediate solutions to strategic research partnerships spanning years of collaboration. Resourcing these projects can be facilitated through a number of funding sources, which include but are not limited to:
Direct industry funding:
- Research projects that are requested and sponsored directly by industry
Peak Body / Not-for-Profit Collaborative Research:
- Complex, often multi-disciplinary research projects developed in collaboration with other entities and involving one or multiple sponsors (e.g. ACARP, AMIRA among others).
- CBSPT has a high success rate in competitive grants from government bodies such as the Australian Research Council (ARC) and Science and Innovation.
Advanced METS Doctoral Training Centre:
- CBSPT is at the forefront of the Advanced Mining Equipment, Technology and Services (METS) Doctoral Training Centre, the ultimate example of industry engagement and research translation.
CBSPT has collaborated with international research groups and universities since its early days and continues to strive for excellence in knowledge translation. Most recent international engagements comprise joint research projects and HDR (Higher Degree by Research) students from Germany, South Africa, Turkey, China, Brazil and many others.