Design and build
As we consider the future of our campuses, a changing education model and maintaining a world-class university in harmony with our environmental and social responsibilities, our ambitious capital works will see our sustainability principles at work.
By 2025, the following campus development projects will be built:
- Bioresources Building (Callaghan campus)
- STEMM (Callaghan campus)
- the first stage of the Honeysuckle City Campus Development
- Central Coast Medical School and Research Institute (Gosford, NSW).
The University recognises the importance of developing these large infrastructure projects with ESD principals embedded across the life cycle, with a particular focus on energy and CO2 reduction.
- Embed Environmentally Sustainable Design (ESD) principals through all capital projects
- Implement the UON ESD Tool across all University-wide refurbishment projects to achieve a five-star Green Star or equivalent rating from 2019
Measures of success
- A minimum six-star Green Star ‘Design & As Built’ across all new buildings by 2025
Aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.