External grievance procedures

While we encourage you to try to resolve your issues with us directly, you can refer your complaint to an external agency at any time. The following agencies may be able to help you with some guidance and support.

New South Wales Ombudsman

You can make a complaint about administrative actions and decisions of the University to the New South Wales Ombudsman. If you have not followed the University's internal grievance procedures, the Ombudsman may ask you to do so before accepting the complaint.

Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC)

You can make a complaint about suspected corrupt conduct to the ICAC, which aims to protect the public interest, prevent breaches of public trust and guide the conduct of public officials.

Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC)

You can make a complaint to the AHRC about suspected discrimination or breaches of human rights under federal laws.

Fair Work Ombudsman

You can make a complaint to the Fair Work Ombudsman who investigates complaints or suspected contraventions of workplace laws, awards and agreements.

The Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW

You can make a complaint to the Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW which deals with complaints of discrimination.

NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT)

You can make a complaint to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal which investigates some complaints in relation to professional misconduct and commercial disputes.

Information and Privacy Commission (IPC)

The Information Privacy Commission NSW (IPC) is an independent body which can review a decision by the University in relation to privacy and access to information.


The Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) regulates and assures the quality of Australia's large, diverse and complex higher education sector.

Human Rights Commission

HREOC will receive, investigate and try to resolve complaints of discrimination, vilification and harassment and of discrimination in employment on a large number of grounds including religion and criminal record. Complaints must be made within 12 months of the incident.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.