Celebrating 50 remarkable years
Happy new year and welcome back! I hope you enjoyed your well-earned break. This is going to be a great year of celebration and a terrific opportunity for the University of Newcastle to say thank you to our staff, students, alumni, partners and our communities in Australia and abroad for the enormous contribution you have made to shaping the world-class institution we are today.
There are four key themes to our celebrations in 2015. You can read more about the themes and plans for celebrating each of these on the newly launched Celebrating 50 web pages.
On the site you will find history pages that walk you through the decades of the University's 50 years, opportunities to share your personal stories and images, links to our Celebrating 50 social media channels, information about the events and more.
A year of celebration
We have planned a terrific year of celebration for our staff, students and the community in 2015. Highlights of the celebrations include:
- Celebrating 50 will be officially launched across all campuses in March
- On 16 April we invite staff, students and the community to join our newest graduates for a very special graduation parade through the Newcastle city streets
- From 28 May to 22 August, the Newcastle Museum will be home to the Our Community, Your University multimedia exhibition and we'll be hosting a Festival day for staff and your families and the community at the Museum on 14 June
- The Our Community, Your University exhibition will travel to the Central Coast and to the lower Hunter Valley in September
- On 4 July we will host the first UON Gala Reunion, which will be a great opportunity for current and past staff to catch up with old friends
- In September, UON will be raising funds for our disadvantaged students by asking Champions to walk 50 kilometres along the Great Wall of China. All of us will be able to follow their progress along the way
- From 21-24 October we are inviting our local and global alumni back to Callaghan for a three-day homecoming festival culminating in the 40th annual Alumni Awards gala event.
There are many more Celebrating 50 activities and events scheduled. Do keep an eye on the website and keep connected to a great 'calendar of celebration'.
I look forward to keeping in touch with you about our 50th anniversary throughout the year and celebrating our remarkable history!
- New dual degree targets growing job opportunities in medical technology field
- New research highlights Australian music’s global export value and strong international success
- 25 Alumni Awards Achievers in 2019
- Checking in on check-ups to help Close the Gap
- Unique partnership transforming lives of people living with mental illness