A message from the VC
Many of you will have seen media reports regarding the search by the NSW Police Force for a missing young man following an incident near Nobbys Beach on Sunday night. It is with great sadness that I advise the young man concerned is a UON student, Mohsin Khalid Awan, and that, tragically, this search has now confirmed Mohsin has died.
Losing a member of our UON community in such tragic circumstances is very difficult, and I appreciate that this news will be distressing.
For our students, free confidential counselling is available through all of our campuses through Counselling (4921 5801). The Chaplaincy Service also offers faith-based assistance including representation from the Newcastle Muslim Association. I encourage you to offer these services to students if they need support.
For staff, the University offers free confidential counselling sessions through the Employee Assistance Program. Further information is available on the University’s website. You may also wish to approach external providers such as your doctor, or Lifeline on 131114.
Our thoughts are with Mohsin’s family and friends at this very difficult time.
Vice-Chancellor and President
- Partnership will fund new research into preventing healthcare-associated infections
- New dual degree targets growing job opportunities in medical technology field
- New research highlights Australian music’s global export value and strong international success
- 25 Alumni Awards Achievers in 2019
- Checking in on check-ups to help Close the Gap