Global Innovation Chairs explained
Global Innovation Chairs were introduced as a key element of the NeW Directions Research and Innovation Strategic Plan and were established as part of a suite of initiatives aimed at enhancing our global research performance and reputation.
The recent appointment of Professor Richard Bush to the position of Global Innovation Chair for the International Centre for Balanced Land Use brings the total number of GICs to four and highlights the calibre of world-leading academics contributing to UON's ongoing research successes. Their efforts are seeing UON's research provide measurable benefits to society and receive attention on the world stage.
The transition from NeW Directions to NeW Futures provides a timely opportunity to refresh our institutional knowledge of the Global Innovation Chairs, as they will continue to be an important pillar of our research strategy in 2016 and beyond.
Recognised leaders in fields of global significance
Our Global Innovation Chairs are responsible for leading the development of research and evidence-based translational practice and policy across the University and within faculties and schools. All Chairs have a strong record of:
- attracting competitive funding
- generating and translating excellent research outcomes
- developing strong working relationships and linkages with Government, the community and industry sectors.
Demonstrated leadership in the translation of research outcomes
Our Global Innovation Chairs play a significant role in developing and maintaining UON's leadership in areas of research strength by facilitating greater engagement with international partners, driving stronger models of collaboration (through centres, hubs and clusters) and maximising the translation and societal impact of our research.
Using the profile of the position and their connections, the Global Innovation chairs showcase the depth and range of research being undertaken at UON as well as provide opportunities for our researchers to engage with new ideas and technology from across the globe and key international industry partners to tackle society's grand challenges.
Developing UON's leadership in research strength
Global Innovation Chairs are high profile positions within the University. All current and future appointments meet rigorous selection characteristics including:
- leadership in an area or on problems of global significance which will enhance, complement or interface with existing or emerging areas of research strength at UON
- a record of developing new research areas and ideas or bridging previously disconnected areas of research or bringing creative and novel solutions to address interdisciplinary problems
- an outstanding international research profile
- the capacity to build large productive teams and to support the careers of junior researchers through effective mentorship and engage undergraduate students
- the capacity to drive the translation of research outcomes through active engagement and productive collaboration with partners to ensure that the research outcomes add value through innovation – with likely long term economic, social or environmental impact;
Who are our Global Innovation Chairs?
UON has appointed ten Global Innovation Chairs since 2014:
- Professor Geoff Whitty, Centre of Excellence for Equity and Higher Education
- Professor Penny Jane Burke, Centre of Excellence for Equity and Higher Education
- Professor Ravi Naidu, Global Centre for Environmental Remediation
- Professor Richard Bush, International Centre for Balanced Land Use
- Professor Julie Byles, Global Innovation Chair in Responsive Transitions in Health and Ageing
- Professor Erol Gelenbe, Global Innovation Chair in Data Networks, Clouds and Energy
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan, Global Innovation Chair in Cybersecurity
- Professor Steve Melnyk, Global Innovation Chair in Supply Chain Management
- Professor Joanna Bourke, Global Innovation Chair in the Centre for the History of Violence
- Professor Miles Hewstone, Global Innovation Chair in Social Conflict and Cohesion
- Professor Brett Neilan, Global Innovation Chair Biotechnology
- Professor Michael Nilsson, Global Innovation Chair of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Professor Ajayan Vinu, Global Innovation Chair for Advanced Nanomaterials
All have quickly embedded themselves in UON's research culture, have been active in community and industry engagement, and are set to spearhead our global research reputation, as we embark upon the ambitious objectives enshrined in NeW Futures.