Welcome Professor Alex Zelinsky AO
The University of Newcastle is delighted to welcome Professor Alex Zelinsky AO, who commences today as the University’s 8th Vice-Chancellor and President.
Prior to joining the University, Professor Zelinsky was Chief Defence Scientist, leading Defence Science and Technology.
Prior to this, he was Group Executive for Information Sciences at CSIRO and was CEO and co-founder of Seeing Machines, a technology company focused on computer vision.
Seeing Machines was a startup from ANU where he was a Professor of Systems Engineering.
Professor Zelinsky’s career spans innovation, science and technology, research and commercial start-ups and education.
He has a Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences (Honours), Doctor of Philosophy and Honorary Doctor of Science from the University of Wollongong, and is a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and has completed the Advanced Management Program from Harvard University.
Professor Zelinsky has received numerous national and international awards, including being appointed an Officer in the Order of Australia (AO) in 2017.
- Research examines older people’s engagement with creative and physical activities
- Classics and Ancient History PhD Travel Scholarship Opportunity
- Success for Criminology students receiving job offers before graduating
- Investment to support female researchers
- Free legal clinic to support community’s vulnerable older people