UON scores four top marks in 2018 Good Universities Guide
The 2018 Good Universities Guide, published today, has awarded the University of Newcastle (UON) its highest number of five star ratings ever - for four categories.
For the first time, UON achieved the maximum five star rating for Overall Experience and Learning Resources. It also confirmed UON among the best tertiary institutions nationally for social equity and student retention, awarding the University top marks in those categories.
The guide, produced by Good Education Group, provides independent performance ratings on Australian universities based on various student-relevant criteria, and incorporates the latest results from the Student Experience and Graduate Destination Surveys.
UON’s five star ratings, achieved for scoring in the top 20 per cent across all universities:
- Overall Experience reflects the proportion of students who were satisfied with the overall quality of their educational experience.
- Learning Resources assesses the proportion of students who positively rated the quality of the education resources provided by their institution, such aslecture theatres, laboratories, student spaces, online learning materials, computing and IT resources, and library facilities.
- Student retention refers to the number of domestic school leavers who commence a bachelor degree and are still enrolled at the same university in their second year.
- Social equity rating reflects the number of commencing domestic students from a low socio-economic background as a proportion of all commencing domestic students.
Since its establishment in 1965, UON has firmly established itself as a leader in equity, offering opportunities and support to motivated students, regardless of their background or circumstances, not just to gain entry, but to thrive in their field of study.
Each year approximately 3,000 students enrol in UON domestic enabling programs as a stepping stone to higher education. About 80 percent of successful enabling students go on to study in an undergraduate degree program at UON.
Learning Resources was UON’s strongest ratings measure in the 2018 Good Universities Guide and it was rated top of the country in three fields of study – pharmacy, psychology, and dentistry. UON also achieved Australia’s best result for Student Support in dentistry.
Five-star field of study highlights
UON achieved strong results in several fields, with six featuring five-star results in three or more measures. Our strongest measure is Learning Resources, reaching five stars across eight fields of study, while Overall Experience and Teaching Quality were also highly-rated with seven fields each.
- True extent of colonial frontier massacres revealed as new sites added to interactive map
- Research examines older people’s engagement with creative and physical activities
- Classics and Ancient History PhD Travel Scholarship Opportunity
- Success for Criminology students receiving job offers before graduating
- Investment to support female researchers