Student takes out silver in the Winter Olympics
Elite student-athlete from the University of Newcastle, Matthew Graham, has won Australia’s first Winter Olympics medal overnight in the men’s mogul event.
Ranked third in the world, Matt was awarded 82.57 points in the final event that took place on Monday night in PyeongChang, finishing just behind Canadian gold medalist Mikael Kingsbury.
Navigating the bumps and jumps of the mogul slope at Phoenix Snow Park in just under 25 seconds, Matt saved his best run for last and produced an impressive back flip full twist on the first jump before landing a D spin 10 off the second jump.
Supported by the Elite Athlete Friendly University Program, Matt is currently juggling his world ranking with a double degree in a Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) and Bachelor of Business at the University of Newcastle.
Originally from the Central Coast, the podium finish is sweet victory for Matt after he just missed out on the medal round at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- Healthy eating options on the table for young Australians
- A message for our University community
- Partnership will fund new research into preventing healthcare-associated infections
- New dual degree targets growing job opportunities in medical technology field
- Call for papers: digital research across the humanities