Outstanding alumni acknowledged for their work shaping the future
Nine exceptional University of Newcastle (UON) alumni have been recognised for their groundbreaking work in the fields of professional excellence, scientific discovery, community service and leadership at this year’s Alumni Awards.
The annual awards acknowledge remarkable UON alumni who are pioneering change in their communities and professions through their unique and innovative work.
President of the UON Alumni Advisory Committee, Belinda Smith, said the diversity and quality of this year’s winners was a testament to the institution’s commitment to excellence in leadership.
“The opportunity for UON alumni to have their incredible achievements widely showcased is truly a special event.
“The calibre of our finalists this year reiterates the wonderful work graduates are doing across the globe and is a great reflection of the foundations the university provides as a world-class institution,” she said.
Twenty-five finalists were chosen for their incredible work, ranging from improving disaster relief in Nepal and assisting women enter male-dominated industries, to investigating the long-term effects of collision sports and breaking down stereotypes of the disabled.
The awards were presented on Friday 21 October in the Great Hall at Callaghan campus.
- New dual degree targets growing job opportunities in medical technology field
- 25 Alumni Awards Achievers in 2019
- New research highlights Australian music’s global export value and strong international success
- Checking in on check-ups to help Close the Gap
- Unique partnership transforming lives of people living with mental illness