Development program puts female researchers at the fore
Fifteen female early and mid-year career researchers from the University of Newcastle (UON) will have the opportunity to progress their academic careers with a development program designed to break through gender barriers.
As part of UON’s commitment to gender equity, the Faculty of Health and Medicine’s Gender Equity Committee is hosting the 2018 Women’s Development Program facilitated by ThinkWell, aimed at removing professional obstacles faced by women in the fields of health and medicine.
Women comprise more than half of PhD graduates and Early Career Researchers, but just 17 per cent of senior academics in Australian universities and research institutes. Celebrating 40 years of medicine this year, the Faculty of Health and Medicine is committed to improving these statistics by providing avenues for women in STEMM to achieve their goals alongside their male counterparts, with a focus on gender equity in the health and medical profession.
Leading practitioners and researchers in cognitive behavioural coaching, ThinkWell, will deliver a series of workshops and coaching sessions to equip participants with personalised development tools, peer support and networking opportunities to support them on their career trajectory. Topics include turbocharge your writing and making time for research, as well as lessons on self-promotion.
As a key part of this initiative, UON is proud be to one of the first Australian universities to pilot the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) program, adapted from the Athena SWAN Charter in the United Kingdom.
ThinkWell workshops commence on Wednesday, 4 April in the Hunter Building, UON Callaghan Campus.
The following people have been selected for the program:
- Vanessa Clark – School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Alice Grady – School of Medicine and Public Health
- Gunilla Haydon – School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Madeline Hinwood – School of Medicine and Public Health
- Melinda Hutchesson – School of Health Sciences
- Kristen McCarter – School of Medicine and Public Health
- Victoria Pitt – School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Tracy Schumacher – School of Medicine and Public Health
- Jennifer St George – School of Health Sciences
- Jessie Sutherland – School of Biomedical Science and Pharmacy
- Melissa Tadros – School of Biomedical Science and Pharmacy
- Rebecca Vanders – School of Biomedical Science and Pharmacy
- Kylie Wales – School of Health Sciences
- Michelle Wong-Brown – School of Biomedical Science and Pharmacy
- Rebecca Wyse – School of Medicine and Public Health