Central Coast Health Fair
The University of Newcastle's outstanding research in health, safety and well-being will be showcased at the Central Coast Staff and Student Health Fair on Tuesday 17 September.
The Central Coast Staff and Student Health Fair, designed to promote healthy lifestyles that enhance learning, will include stallholders promoting good nutrition, exercise, financial well-being, physical health, good mental health and spirituality. Activities will include:
- Learn how to cook a healthy meal on a budget
- Learn about ergonomics and pilates
- Exercise anywhere demonstrations
- Podiatry advice
- Cancer Council
- Dental advice
- Mindfulness meditation
- Healthy heart checks including blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol checks
- Zumba displays.
The Health Fair forms part of a local 'Healthy University' strategy, which has been adapted from the internationally-recognised 'Healthy Universities' global best practice standard. The Healthy Universities standard promotes and advocates positive physical, social and mental health.
The new 'Healthy University' strategy will provide a framework for creating healthy working and learning environments for staff and students of the University. It aims to harness innovations in psychological health, health promotion and organisational health across the institution, offering staff and students opportunities to collaborate, coordinate and participate in healthy activities.
The University's NeW Directions Strategic Plan 2013-2015 was announced in 2012. The 'Healthy University' strategy is part of the Future Workforce Plan.
The 'Healthy University' strategy is expected to greatly benefit individual and institutional health by bringing together the best learning, opinions and resources for promoting well-being and developing healthier communities.
Central Coast Staff and Student Health Fair, Tuesday 17 September, 11am – 3pm at the breezeway surrounding the quadrangle.
- Carmen Swadling
- Phone: +61 2 4985 4276
- New funding will see University of Newcastle students study across Indo-Pacific region
- Estimating calorie content not clear-cut for all
- Cloud Immersion Day to unlock innovative use of the technology in the higher education sector
- The principles underpinning three decades of teaching
- Renewables switch wins Clever Campus award