Accelerator initiative launches business ideas
The UON Slingshot Accelerator Program, an initiative to identify high potential start-ups and nurture innovation in the Hunter, will be officially launched today, Thursday 23 January.
Following 60 applications to participate in the high-tech accelerator initiative, seven teams succeeded in joining the program, which is designed to draw on the Hunter's expertise to mentor the next generation of entrepreneurs through a 10-week structured program.
Applicants receive seed capital, legal and financial support as well as events and marketing support. The program covers topics such as lean start-up, branding and marketing, user acquisition, revenue models, pitching, user experience and financials and governance.
University of Newcastle Vice-Chancellor, Professor Caroline McMillen, will launch the program at the Conservatorium of Music. The event will allow guests the opportunity to learn more about the UON Slingshot Accelerator Program and meet the teams participating in the current round. The teams include:
- iSaveLocal: Provides an automated online advertising platform for SMEs to connect with potential local clientele via a free mobile app and website,
- Newipra: Provides reliable ratings for market place websites that take into consideration relevance and consumer preferences,
- Deckee: TripAdvisor style website for recreational boating,
- GroundUp Medicine: Is a crowd sourced educational website providing clear, concise and current medical information,
- Flindle: On-line bookings to help small business grow,
- Raise for Cause: Connecting businesses and charities together and reducing the cost of fund raising.
- The Impact Race: combining the data from traditional and new media into one place and presents customers with an easy to read impact map.
On completion of the program at the end of February, teams will pitch their projects to potential investors during a 'Demo Day' to seek support and grow their innovative ideas.
For more information on the program visit www.newcastle.edu.au/slingshotters. UON Slingshot Accelerator Launch, Thursday 23 January, 6pm to 7.30pm, Concert Hall Foyer, The Conservatorium of Music, Corner of Auckland Street and Laman Street, Newcastle. Media welcome.
- Carmen Swadling, Media and Public Relations
- Phone: +61 49854276 or 0428 038477.