Special Semester at the Bernoulli Center
The research group around ARC Laureate Fellow George Willis was recently granted a special semester at the Bernoulli Center in Lausanne, Switzerland to take place in the second half of 2020.
The grant includes comprehensive administration support and use of facilities, as well as substantial funds to invite participants to the semester entitled “Locally compact groups acting on discrete structures”.
Locally compact groups are ubiquitous in mathematics and have been the subject of much research and significant progress in recent years.
This semester aims to open and strengthen collaborations between all areas where such groups can be used to make new discoveries or motivate research. Starting with a summer school, the program brings together leading experts in the above fields through a number of workshops in order to improve our understanding of these groups, and to facilitate cross-fertilisation of ideas.
The organising committee of the semester comprises
- Upskill and prepare for your career with micro-credentials from AWS Educate
- Nominations for the 2021 Employability Excellence Awards are now open!
- World-first needle-free diabetes test
- Cancer research gets $7 million boost in NSW regions
- Hunter people to benefit from local research into dementia tests and treatments
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.