Symposium to highlight concerns for youth
The Youth Outside the Northern Metropole symposium will bring together international researchers in the area of youth studies to articulate the key concerns for urban, regional and rural young people in Australia and the Pacific region.
UON's Newcastle Youth Studies Research Group will hold a symposium on Friday 29 August, which will bring together international and Australian youth researchers from sociology and sociology-allied disciplines.
"The international field of youth sociology has been dominated by research on young people in the UK, Europe and North America, emphasising urban youth," said convenor of the symposium Dr Steven Threadgold. "Taking a different direction, researchers in this proposed network have chosen to focus their studies on urban youth in the global 'South', or in some cases on regional/rural youth."
Topics will include, Japanese Youth in the Post-bubble Economy; Popular Music Scenes, Youth and Everyday Life in the Global South; Researching Rural Youth and the Challenge of Conceptual Orthodoxies; Chinese Youth across Wengzhou and Prato; Rural Youth Subjectivities in Late Modernity; Unravelling the Youth Question in the Global South; and Young Indonesian Musicians Building Forms of Capital.
Find out more
- See more about research in the Newcastle Youth Studies Research Group.
- See Dr Steven Threadgold's researcher profile.
- Jessie Reid
- Phone: +61 2 4921 4578
- University of Newcastle and TAFE NSW join forces for stronger Hunter and Central Coast post-COVID recovery
- Call for Entries: 2020 Karen Thrift Prize for Poetry and Lyrics
- Criminology expert in police accountability comments on George Floyd case
- ‘Felix’ to transform fertility for millions of couples worldwide
- Major funding boost to explore the health impacts of recent bushfires