Human Rights and Refugees
Shaun McCarthy of the UNLC addressed a group of local refugees on the common issues facing asylum seekers in Australia
The Director of the University of Newcastle Legal Centre (UNLC), Shaun McCarthy, spoke at the Amnesty International forum held at the University on 22 May. Shaun addressed a group of local refugees on the common issues facing asylum seekers in Australia and the legal implications of these issues. In the past, the UNLC has actively assisted persons seeking asylum protection in the past.
Shaun discussed the need for improved mental healthcare and support for detainees, citing the negative effects a lack of mental healthcare had on a former client. The UNLC acted for Cornelia Rau, who was detained a decade ago, in the inquiry set up by the federal government to review the circumstances of her detention.
- Shaun McCarthy
- Phone: (02) 4921 8666
- New dual degree targets growing job opportunities in medical technology field
- New research highlights Australian music’s global export value and strong international success
- 25 Alumni Awards Achievers in 2019
- Checking in on check-ups to help Close the Gap
- Unique partnership transforming lives of people living with mental illness