Flying the flag with pride
Staff and students gathered outside The Great Hall on Monday 11 September to mark the beginning of Pride Week celebrations with a ceremonial raising of the Pride flag.
Pride Week is the annual celebration of pride, diversity and culture for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) community at UON. This is the first time the Pride flag has been flown at the Callaghan Campus.
In an email to all staff, Professor Darrell Evans, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) said the flag flying was a significant milestone for UON.
"Flying the rainbow flag during Pride Week is a demonstration of UON’s commitment to principles of equity, diversity and inclusion. This important gesture acknowledges the unique and valuable contributions that LGBTIQ staff and students provide to our community," he wrote.
The flag raising was officiated by UON Queer Collective. Find out what else is planned for Pride Week 2017...
- A message for our University community
- Partnership will fund new research into preventing healthcare-associated infections
- New dual degree targets growing job opportunities in medical technology field
- Call for papers: digital research across the humanities
- New research highlights Australian music’s global export value and strong international success