SECRETS & SANITY | Newcastle Art Space
Secrets & Sanity by Megan McCarthy will be held at the Newcastle Art Space from 19 July - 14 August 2019. Please join the artist for the exhibition opening Friday 19 July from 6pm.
SECRETS & SANITY
19 July - 14 August 2019
Contemporary western society has led to domestic isolation. No longer is your aunt living two doors down, your mother three streets away and your cousin around the corner. In our pursuit of independence and wealth, we have isolated ourselves from the village.
The sculptures in this exhibition represent the feelings of isolation in a domestic world. By combining the traditional feminine fabrics of lace & crochet with the creative notion of the empty dress and contradicting this with the masculine material of cement, these works provide a visual image of a mental state.
Using shared fabrics from a collective of women, the prints in this exhibition represent the effects and benefits of the village, a cohesive group formed to protect and support each other. A quilt to sooth and comfort.
Opening night 6pm Friday 19 July 2019
- Newcastle Art Space
91 Chinchen Street
- Centre Director convenes third international wine studies conference during Fulbright program
- Collaborate to Innovate program set to improve local business collaboration
- Dwyer gives public lecture on Broken Bones, Broken Stones: Iconoclasm in World History
- 2020 University Galleries Internships | Apply Now!
- Endeavour Leadership Program to Kenya