Academic Success: Skills for Learning and Life
As the start of uni gets closer you're probably wondering what studying at UON is really going to be like. You may be questioning what you should be doing to prepare or thinking about how you can make the most of your time inside and outside of the lecture theatres.
You can find the answers to these questions and much more in the free online course Academic Success: Skills for Learning and Life. The Academic Success course is a great way to make sure you feel confident for day 1 and prepared for the semester ahead. Find out what's covered in Academic Success and how to access it below.
What's covered in the course?
Module 1: What is higher education for?
The first module focuses on what university is like outside of the classroom. As you work through the first module you will:
- Consider what your first few days will be like
- Find out how to get involved in the campus community through clubs, societies, volunteering and more
- Be introduced to some of the support available to help you successfully complete your studies
- Get tips on how to adjust to living out of home for students moving away for the first time
Module 2: Introduction to student skills
The second module is all about the study skills you will need to help complete your coursework. By the end of the module you will have developed your skills in:
- Assessment planning
- Effective reading
- Academic writing
- Note taking
- Group work
- Time management
How do I access Academic Success?
Academic Success uses Blackboard, the same learning management system that you will use for each of the courses that make up your degree. To access Blackboard:
- Login to myUON
- Select UONline from the Launchpad
- Click on the Blackboard tab at the top of the page
- Select the Academic Success: Skills for Learning and Life link under the 'My Other Sites' heading.
Recognition for completing the course
All students who complete the Academic Success: Skills for Learning course prior to the first day of semester will go into the draw to win a $50 Co-op bookshop voucher.