Library updates and support
Due to COVID-19 restrictions our Sydney and Central Coast (Ourimbah) campus Libraries are currently closed.
Auchmuty and Newcastle City campus (NUspace) Libraries are open via swipe card access. This includes the cafes and the 24/7 spaces. Check Library hours for opening times. Community Borrowers are requested to call ahead to arrange access to the Library. Please wear a face mask and follow existing room occupancy and social distancing signage.
Please note, Gosford and Wyong Hospital Libraries are currently closed.
All loans have been extended to 30 August so no fines will accrue during this period.
Loans for Course Readings material have been extended to 24 hours.
For a list of current restrictions in the NSW public health order see NSW Health Advice.
Support for students and staff on campus or studying remotely during COVID-19 disruptions
The Library's top priority is the health and wellbeing of our students, staff and community. We are here to support you and your studies during this period of disruption and have modified some services to make things easier for you. Up-to-date information and advice from the University in response to coronavirus is available on the University's COVID-19 web page.
Contact us through our Library chat service, or via email or text. We will provide updates to this page as we respond to evolving circumstances, and encourage you to stay connected through our Library social media channels (Library blog, Twitter and Instagram).
Library, Gallery and Special Collections Access
Auchmuty and Newcastle City campus (NUspace) Libraries are open via swipe card access. Sydney and Central Coast (Ourimbah) campus Libraries are currently closed. Check our Library hours for updated times at all locations.
Gosford and Wyong Hospital Libraries are currently closed.
Library staff are available to assist you via our virtual concierge in the Library Service Zones (help desks). Please wear a mask and maintain appropriate social distancing measures when in the Library.
University Gallery, Archives and Special Collections
For access to the University Gallery and Wattspace Gallery, please check the Gallery webpage for updates. Special Collections and the GLAMx Lab have restricted access in place and use of these areas is currently by appointment only. Contact their email: firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
We know service continuity is important and we are working to deliver the same high quality service regardless of your location and the disruptions that may be ahead. Some services have changed to make access easier and social distancing possible.
- Face to face online sessions with Librarians through Book a Librarian enable you to connect with us for support
- Community Borrowers are requested to call ahead to arrange access to the Library
- Print Course Readings items will be replaced with eBooks where possible
- Auchmuty Carers and Kids Study Room is open though we encourage you to bring your children's own toys and activities. Please use the cleaning products supplied to wipe surfaces before and after use.
Changes to Borrowing
- All staff and students are able to borrow up to 100 physical items from University of Newcastle Library locations
- Loans for Course Readings material have been extended to 24 hours
- BONUS+ borrowing is available. Items from the University of Wollongong and Deakin University are no longer available. Please be aware that there may be delays in delivery times between libraries. Current loans now have up to six renewals available, contact the Library for assistance
- Get It (Inter Library Loans) requesting for book loans has resumed. Please be mindful that due to COVID, many libraries have service restrictions and this may impact our ability to fulfill requests. At present we are unable to obtain loans from overseas libraries. Additionally, Australia post advises that there are significant postal delivery delays.
Health and Safety in the Library
Protect yourself and others by practicing these simple steps to help lower the chances of spreading the virus.
- Frequently wash your hands with soap and water. Washing your hands for 40-60 seconds, especially before eating, helps prevent the spread of illness or contamination from things you may have touched
- Practice social distancing. Follow the 42 metre rule in the Library while studying, queuing for coffee, or at the Service Zone
- Cover your cough or sneeze. Use an elbow or tissues to cover coughs or sneezes. Dispose of tissues and wash your hands
- Stay home if you are unwell. Take care of yourself and access Library support and resources online.
Remote Library Access
View our Online Study Off Campus Support page to find tools and resources.
Online support from Library staff is available through Ask the Library for chat, email, or text.
Book a Librarian session at a time that suits you to get help from a Librarian via an online face-to-face meeting.
Visit our Online Resources and Support (Library Guide) for information and help with basic and more advanced digital skills for using University learning technologies.
The Library has a range of eResources and online tools to assist with studying off campus.
- Library Search allows you to refine your search to locate online journal articles or eBooks. To search one of our eBook collections check out the What is an eBook (Library Guide) for more information
- Subject Resource Guides help you find subject specific resources
- Databases by Title for you to find the best library databases for your research, limit by subject or type
- Referencing Guide (Library Guide) provides information and examples for each reference style
- Electronic Course Readings provides access to your readings via the menu in your Blackboard (UONline) course
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.