Library updates and support
Current Library Access
From Monday 25th of October, we are happy to announce the opening of the Auchmuty and Ourimbah Libraries to staff and students who are fully vaccinated.
Opening hours: 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday
Information Commons: 9am – 9pm, Monday to Friday
Proof of vaccination status or exemption will be required to enter the Library. Please bring your University ID card or appropriate identification.
Student residents, students with exemptions and students who are undertaking approved Type A, B or C activities on campus can continue to access the Libraries. If you fall into one of these categories, you will be asked to provide evidence on entry with either an approval form or email that would have been provided to you.
For the moment, NUspace including the Library remains closed. Ourimbah or Auchmuty are available as pick up points for Click and Collect of NUspace Library items.
To keep our community safe, please check in to the buildings, face masks are required inside and follow social distancing requirements.
Click and Collect Service
For all other students and staff, if you require print material held at the Auchmuty, NUspace or Ourimbah Libraries please request the item via Library Search and choose your pick up location.
Options for pickup include the Auchmuty Information Common (AIC) and the Ourimbah Information Common (OIC). You will be notified via email when your item is ready for pickup.
If you're unable to come to campus for collection, you can select Home Delivery to receive your items by post.
For the latest updates visit the University of Newcastle Covid-19 advice web page.
We are working to deliver the same high-quality service regardless of your location and the disruptions that may be ahead. Some services have changed to make access easier and social distancing possible.
- Online consultations with Librarians through Book a Librarian enable you to connect with us for support
- Contact us through our Library chat service, or via email or text
- A Click and Collect service is now in place. If you require print material held at the Auchmuty, Ourimbah and NUspace Libraries please place a hold on the item through Library Search. You will be notified by email when your item is ready for pickup at your selected location.
- If you're unable to come to campus, you can select Home Delivery to receive your items via post. Requests that are mailed out to you are not expected to be returned until our campuses re-open.
- View our Online Study Off-Campus Support page to find tools and resources
- Visit our Online Resources and Support (Library Guide) for information and help with basic and more advanced digital skills for using University learning technologies
- Print Course Readings items will be replaced with eBooks where possible.
Changes to Borrowing
- All loans have been extended to the 6th of December, including BONUS+ items. No fines will accrue during this period.
- Loans for Course Readings material will be extended to the end of the lockdown
- BONUS+ borrowing is currently unavailable. Current loans now have up to eight renewals available, contact the Library for assistance
- Get It (Inter-Library Loans) requesting services for physical items (book loans) are currently not available. You may continue requesting digitised items, such as journal articles and digitised book chapters. However, significant restrictions continue to impact other libraries, which may affect our ability to fulfil requests
- We are not accepting new Community Borrower memberships at this time.
Health and Safety in the Library
Protect yourself and others by practicing these simple steps to help lower the chances of spreading the virus.
- Use the Check-in QR Codes at the entrances to buildings
- Wear a face mask at all times
- Frequently wash your hands with soap and water.
- Practice social distancing. Follow the 42 metre rule in the Library while studying, queuing for coffee, or at the Service Zone
- Cover your cough or sneeze. Use an elbow or tissues to cover coughs or sneezes. Dispose of tissues and wash your hands
- Stay home if you are unwell. Take care of yourself and access Library support and resources online.
- For a list of current restrictions in the NSW public health order see NSW Health Advice.
The Library's top priority is the health and wellbeing of our students, staff and community. We are here to support you and your studies during this period of disruption and have modified some services to make things easier for you. Up-to-date information and advice from the University in response to coronavirus is available on the University's COVID-19 web page.
Contact us through our Library chat service, or via email or text. We will provide updates to this page as we respond to evolving circumstances, and encourage you to stay connected through our Library social media channels (Library blog, Twitter and Instagram).
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.