Glocal Internship Program
Integrating Global Perspectives and Local Practice for UON International Students.
About the program
Sponsored by Study NSW, UON Glocal Internship Program aims at offering UON international students the opportunity to participate in internship projects and gain work experience while studying in Newcastle. The objective of the Program is to integrate global perspectives with local practice for international students.
- Initiated by UON Global, The University of Newcastle
- Exclusive to UON international students
- Internship offered by host organizations in the Hunter region
- Project-based and Work Integrating Learning
- Offered outside of formal semester study periods
- Teamwork with peers from varied disciplines
- Engagement with business professionals
- Tackle real business problems
- Certificate of Participation to enrich CV
- Cultivate professional communication skills and business acumen
- Gain insight into Australian workplace culture and practice
- Develop practical workplace skills including planning, problem-solving, and reporting and presenting
- Foster teamwork and leadership capabilities
- Integrate global perspectives and local practice
- Enhance employability and increase employment opportunities
Who can apply?
UON international students, both undergraduate and post-graduate. Final year students will be given priority.
4 July 2018: Orientation and project briefings (3 hours)
5 - 6 July 2018: Team meetings for project planning (6 hours)
9 July 2018: Presenting Business Plan/Outline, mentor feedback (1 hour)
10 - 24 July 2018: Finalising Business Plan (30 hours)
25 July 2018: Formal presentation of project findings, conclusion of project (3 hours)
Detailed Internship Project Outlines: Please check the web pages below:
How to apply
Interested students must submit an online application form here
Application deadline: 12am, 8th June 2018
Internship offer period: 5 - 11 June 2018
For more information, please contact: Tel: +61 2 4921 6555, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: UON Global Office, HA38, Hunter Building, Callaghan Campus, The University of Newcastle
As an international student holding a student visa, the Australian Government allows you to work part-time for a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight (two weeks) while your course is in session and unlimited hours during semester breaks and vacation periods.
Be sure to research all the details relating to your permission to work while on a student visa.
Finding part-time work depends on a number of things, including your English language ability and your own motivation to actively search for work. Remember to bring relevant documents with you to Australia that you may need to apply for part-time work, such as reference letters from previous employers.
To be eligible to work in Australia you will need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN).
For more information about workplace rights and conditions in Australia, please visit www.fairwork.gov.au/internationalstudents. This information is also available in 30 languages other than English and in videos at www.fairwork.gov.au/languages.
The University of Newcastle offers support to all students who are seeking part-time employment during their studies or full-time employment after graduation. The University's Careers Service provides students with a range of free services including:
- Workshops addressing topics such as interview skills, career planning, job search strategies and resume writing
- Individual interviews with a Careers Counsellor to discuss career choice and career planning
- Mailing lists and databases of job vacancies for students seeking part-time employment during their studies or a full-time graduate position.
For more information, please visit the University's Careers Service.
Employment on completion of your studies If you are not ready to leave Australian shores on completion of your degree you may be interested in the Professional and Other Skilled Migrants program. Alternatively, you may be interested in applying for a Temporary Graduate Visa.