Teach English in China
The University of Northern Iowa, USA, has generously invited 10 students from the University of Newcastle to participate in an overseas program from 1 July to 31 July 2017. The Experience includes one week of cultural travel in China/Hong Kong and a 3 week opportunity to teach English in a summer Camp in Dongguan, China.
Selected students must undertake an online course (TESOL 1086) run by the University of Northern Iowa during semester 1, 2017. Depending on the students degree, some students may be able to apply for credit for this subject as an elective, but credit is not guaranteed.
- Chinese language proficiency is not required.
- The overall cost of this program is significantly subsidised. Read on for more details.
Cultural travel in China / Hong Kong includes:
- Beijing (2 days) visit main historical sites: Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Beihai park, Temple of Heaven, Olympic Park and The Great Wall
- Xian (2 days) includes Terra Cotta Warriors, Huaquing hot springs, the Bell and Drum Tower
- Excursion to Hua Shan, the western mountain of the five Great Mountains of China
- Hong Kong activities include visiting the Golden Bauhinia Square, Victoria’s Peak and a full day excursion to Geopark
Summer Camp in Dongguan, China
- 3 weeks of teaching English to children aged 5 - 11
- 5 lessons per day (Monday to Friday)
- 2 hours of extracurricular activities per day (Monday to Friday)
- Saturday – excursion day
- Sunday is off or home visits
COSTS AND BENEFITS
Provided by the Chinese Summer Camp:
- All cultural travel in China and Hong Kong including flight from Xi’an to Hua Shan – (value approx. $1700)
- Housing (double occupancy) with 3 daily meals during the camp
- Chinese health insurance
- Camp uniform
- Internet in housing
- Bottled water
- Employment certificate
Students are responsible for:
- Airfare to Beijing and return flight from Hong Kong (approx. $1500)
- Application & program fees – approx. $350
- Cost of Visa to China – approx. $130
- Personal expenses while abroad - approx. $250
- $25 of teaching supplies/materials (Australian English language books, games, flash cards, newspapers, magazines, etc.) to bring with you to China
Financial assistance to help with costs:
- UON Global Traveller Grant - $750
- 2,000RMB stipend from Chinese Camp (approx. $400)
- Free Travel insurance for the duration of the study tour
- This program finishes at the end of Week 1, Semester 2 2017. Students selected for this opportunity must gain support from their Program Convenor before participating in this activity.
- Students must complete the course work run by the University of Northern Iowa (Literature and Language - TESOL 1086) no matter if they can receive credit or not
- All successful applicants will be expected to travel to China as one party. Independent travel separate to the tour is not allowed.
- The University can at its discretion, impose a complete travel ban to certain countries/regions which may result in the proposed study tour being cancelled at short notice.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit an Expression of Interest by the close of business Wednesday 8 March 2017.