Internships and placements

internship image

For students who have internship or placement requirements as a compulsory component to their degree, opportunities may exist for those placements to be undertaken overseas. For other Degree programs, internships remain a valuable experience in not only gaining hands-on work experience but also increasing your employability in a global context.

All students considering undertaking an overseas internship or placement should research and select an experience that suits their needs and interest. Students with compulsory internships/placements as part of their degree should also speak with their Faculty regarding academic requirements before applying.

In order to be eligible to participate in an internship or placement you must:

  • Be currently enrolled in an Undergraduate or Postgraduate Coursework degree at the University of Newcastle
  • GPA requirements may exist for various Faculties/ providers.

Before you apply, please note:

  • Students who wish to apply for the OS-HELP Loan, please note your internship/placement MUST count directly towards the completion of your degree.

All internships and placements are different and it is up to you to determine the full cost of your placement or internship. To assist in these costs you may be eligible for:

OS-Help loan
If your internship or placement is a compulsory aspect of your degree, you may be eligible for OS-Help - a loan added onto your HECS/HELP loan for eligible Australian students. To find out more, please click here.

Global Traveller Grant for Short Term Experiences
A grant from UON to its students undertaking a short term experience. For eligibility and application information please click here.

If you are currently receiving Centrelink and going on an overseas experience, you may be eligible to continue receiving your payments while overseas. For more information please click here.

Please see below for a list of popular internship/placement programs available. Please note, some Schools and Faculties may offer experiences not advertised. Please speak with your Faculty/School directly about any other available opportunities.

More detailed information about the above providers can be found on a Blackboard site dedicated to studying overseas. If you do not have Study Overseas on your Blackboard under 'My other sites' you can self enrol by following the instructions below:

  1. Login to Blackboard
  2. Go to the 'Previous Course Sites' tab (2nd tab along the top) and enter 'study overseas' into 'Search Other Sites'
  3. Below the Organisation ID, there is a grey drop-down arrow. Click on the arrow and select 'Enrol' followed by 'Submit'
  4. The Study Overseas Blackboard site should now be available under 'MyOther Sites'

Please follow the below steps in order to apply for an internship / placement:

1. Check your eligibility (please see ‘Am I Eligible?’ section)

2. Research available opportunities. When looking at placements/internships, ensure the dates do not interfere with semester dates at UON.

3. Contact your Faculty to discuss academic requirements and where required, seek approval to undertake the experience as part of your degree.

4. Complete application procedures as per information from the internship/placement provider.

5. Complete the UON Pre-Departure Tutorial to determine any health risks or travel warnings to your chosen location.

Please note students who do not complete the pre-departure tutorial are not eligible to be covered by UON’s Travel Insurance.

UON’s Pre-Departure Tutorial is a compulsory part of your overseas experience, and will guide you through the process of undertaking an overseas experience as well as examine the health risks and travel warnings to your selected country. You will also need to ensure you fulfil all the University’s pre-departure requirements.

Please note students who do not complete the pre-departure tutorial are not eligible to be covered by UON Travel Insurance.